New to the 300 Weatherby…

252to208

Hey just hoping to get some advice on 300 Weatherby reloading, I've got an assortment of hammer bullets and some 200gr eldx h1000 and imr 8133. I'm hoping to work up a load that matches the Weatherby factory ammo I have because it seems to shoot great but other then the 4 boxes each of 180 scirocco Barnes ttsx and 200eldx my wife somehow found to buy when she bought me the rifle. Any help or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Hey just hoping to get some advice on 300 Weatherby reloading, I've got an assortment of hammer bullets and some 200gr eldx h1000 and imr 8133. I'm hoping to work up a load that matches the Weatherby factory ammo I have because it seems to shoot great but other then the 4 boxes each of 180 scirocco Barnes ttsx and 200eldx my wife somehow found to buy when she bought me the rifle. Any help or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
Welcome to LRH and enjoy it! What's the barrel twist? "I" personally would go 205, 215, 230 Berger and stretch her out long-range. I have a .30 LARA but I can shoot the .300 WBTY factory ammo in a pinch.

.300 WBTY vs .30 LARA.jpg

(.30 LARA with 220 ELD-X)

Good luck!

Ed

It's the factory 1:10" twist 26" barrel, I'd love to try the Berger's but as everyone knows things aren't easy to find. I have some 212 eldx as well my friend just sent me.

It's the factory 1:10" twist 26" barrel, I'd love to try the Berger's but as everyone knows things aren't easy to find. I have some 212 eldx as well my friend just sent me.
I too have the 212 but have not loaded any yet. IIRC, the 212 has a better BC than the 220.

"IF" you go the Hammer route the 180 is the heaviest bullet you can use due to your 1:10" barrel twist. Good luck.

Last edited:
Welcome, save your factory brass and load the H1000. My son shoots the Berger 210 VLDH in his and it's quite accurate, but finding bullets is difficult. Perhaps the hammers are available or try the Hornady's. Good luck

Welcome to LRH and enjoy it! What's the barrel twist? "I" personally would go 205, 215, 230 Berger and stretch her out long-range. I have a .30 LARA but I can shoot the .300 WBTY factory ammo in a pinch.

View attachment 302334
(.30 LARA with 220 ELD-X)

Good luck!

Ed
feenix, I like the looks of the 300 lara. do you have reloading data. who brought yours into this world. I have a 300 weatherby by kleinguenther k-15 shoots very good. thanks buck in n.c.

My uncles 300 weatherby is shooting 180hammer hunter at 3200ish. Great load for hunting distances. BC is not great but it doesnt really matter out to 600ish, in my opinion. Using RL23 for powder. I don't have exact load data but work up to max and drop a grain or so, same as all the other hammers.

I just ordered some Ramshot LRT because it was available and seems to have similar burn rate to H1000 and Retumbo. Have any of you guys used this powder before?

My factory 300 bee 26" loves the 180 hammer hunters over 76.0 gr of H4350 and fed215m. It took me a long time to figure this out but works great. Hope it works for as well as has for me.
3200fps, loaded just tight enough to fit in the mag well.
Most days I can shoot them 1/2-3/4 at 100 yards
I do anneal, Redding f/l bushing dies, micro seater die.
Next step for me after elk season is install a EC tuner break.
one word on advise, clean your barrel to look like brand new! Use A barrel cam to verify.

I have a 300 weatherby mag vanguard (Howa).
All I have shot with a 180 gr Nosler Accubond either fell on the spot or 1 or 2 steps.
I need to replace the stock as it came with a butler creek plastic stock and looks ugly.
Enjoy that rifle and I hope it's a shooter.

Recent Posts