new to reloading

joeskyline06

i just bought the rcbs rock chucker reloading kit today, it came with the press, case lube kit, hex key sets, powder funnel, deburing took, uniflow powser mearure, 5-0-5 scale and hand primeing tool, i was woundering what else i would need beside dies, powder, bullets, and primers. also if anyone wants to share any tips for reloading .308 rounds for distances up to 600 yds that would be great! thanks!

you definitely need a case trimmer and a set of dial calipers. RCBS precision mic would be nice as well to help you set up your sizer die to bump shoulder back only .001. Your deburring tool is rather useless unless you have something to debur.

You almost don't need to purchase a load book anymore with the net, but I still do.

I suggest you get the Stoney Point (formerly), now Hornady bullet seating gauge. You are going to want to know how deep to seat your bullets with respect to the rifling.

I load for 308. I'm happy to help you anyway I can.

I suggest you buy brass from any of the following and in this order: Lapua, Norma, Nosler, Winchester. Powder Valley Inc usually has very good prices. I'd buy at least 200 pieces.

There are a lot of good powders that work well in the 308, but it will depend on what bullet wt you are looking at. I like IMR4064 and Varget as top 2 choices. Re15 is excellante, and vihtavuori N140 is a top choice as well.

For hunting up close, like black bears, I'd stuff any decent 180. My wt choice preference for a do-all is 168. I do have a batch of 150 ballistic tips loaded up hot for deer right now though.

Last edited:
you definitely need a case trimmer and a set of dial calipers. RCBS precision mic would be nice as well to help you set up your sizer die to bump shoulder back only .001. Your deburring tool is rather useless unless you have something to debur.

You almost don't need to purchase a load book anymore with the net, but I still do.
can't belive i forgot that stuff!

it came with the speer reloading manual, but i was wounding im probably gonna use hornedy bullets. so should i buy one of their manuals? also what are dial calipers?

it came with the speer reloading manual, but i was wounding im probably gonna use hornedy bullets. so should i buy one of their manuals? also what are dial calipers?

I have a little rule of thumb. If you are going to load Hornady bullets with, say, IMR powder, then you should definitely reference 2 sources: a Hornady manual and the Hodgdon/IMR manual.

You REALLY REALLY need to sit down, open up that Speer manual, and start reading from the beginning. You will find the bulk of the answers are right there, dial calipers and all. After you read that, please post all the questions you still have. I think you will find that the Speer manual is one of THE most well written and informative on reloading. For details, it has always been my favorite.

Here is some info on the RCBS precision mic. It is a must as far as I'm concerned and is the best tool for the task available. http://www.centerfirecentral.com/productreviews/precisionmic.htm

These are dial calipers and they are very important.
DSCF1082.jpg

as far as books go i have 2 and it never hurts to have more

yeah i was looking at buying some more manuals and maybe one of those dvds so that way i can acutally see how its done, my mom used to reload years ago and said she would help me(i am only 18 so i still live with her) as far as 308 loads i was looking at 45.o grs of varget and i changed my mind and decided to go with the sierra 168 match king because i have always shot the federal gold medal with that bullet and have always liked it.

Joe, I own the 2 Sierra videos with David Tubbs. I'll sell them to you cheap. $20 + shipping. Watch those and you will likely not have any more loading questions.

For me, there was little gained b/c by the time I watched them, I had been reloading for several years, and much of it was really boring.

For you, they would be a weath of information.

Warning, these are video TAPES, not DVDs.

thanks anyways but u just ordered a dvd from cabelas. i also plan on reloading 9mm, 40 s&w, 45 acp and 45 lc. do you know of any powder i can u for those 4 rounds (like one that would work for all 4)

thanks anyways but u just ordered a dvd from cabelas. i also plan on reloading 9mm, 40 s&w, 45 acp and 45 lc. do you know of any powder i can u for those 4 rounds (like one that would work for all 4)
I don't. Sorry. I only loaded one pistol and that was the 44 Rem mag. I used H 110.

i also plan on reloading 9mm, 40 s&w, 45 acp and 45 lc. do you know of any powder i can u for those 4 rounds (like one that would work for all 4)
Hodgdon Universal Clays is a very good moderate burn-rate powder for your calibers. Unique and PowerPistol are very similar.

You might learn a lot from the videos offered to you. David Tubb is a perennial Hi-Power champion who is an innovator with his rifles and hardware.

Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.