New to me SS 10-42 MMQ

turbo38gn

Ok, just got my new scope, looks great, not sure how much I'm gonna like it. My initial thought after looking through the lense was not good. Before I go too far, I want to say I am a rookie with this stuff, I have purchased a couple other scopes recently, a Leupold and a Nikon. What I like the best about those 2 scopes is I can put my eye to the lense and pick up an excellent picture without have to move my eye all around to get a full picture. When I look through my new SS, I have a really difficult time finding the spot for the whole picture and keeping it in sight. I hope I explained this right... can anyone give me some input on what I am doing wrong or is that a characteristic of this scope?

Thank you, Jack

Anybody?... did I make a mistake buying this. I actually played with it tonite, dialed it in outside with a laser, it was terrible trying to get a clear picture... I broke out my Weaver Classic Extreme on my 458 Socom upper and it was great, I could put the scope to my eye and have an immediate clear and full picture.. My Weaver is the one I thought was a Leupold... I also tried my Nikon XV1 I think and it was a full clear picture immediately... what gives?

The simple answer is that your SS scope does not have the quality of glass that your other scopes have, and it is sensitive to eye relief. What you have experienced is very common in the lower quality glass.
on a side note...what year GN do you have?

I understand the cheaper glass part, the Weaver and Nikon were $250-300 scopes and are perfect, I researched this scope and not once did I see any complains about this. The reviews were absolutely perfect. I'm waiting for some lower scope mounts and or a cheek rest, to try to stabilize my eyesight into the scope hoping it will be more consistent. But it looks like this is going back and I'll look for something else I can use in the $400 price range, cause that's my budget at the moment. It's on a new savage 110 FCP HS 338Lapua, any ideas here guys?

As for the Gn, I have a few 86-87's. My orange one runs low 8's @ over 168mph... not bad for a 6cyl. Most of the GN's we build are mid 10 second street cars.. do you have one?

Last edited:
Ok, here's another update. I just took an old T-shirt, folded it up and put it on the rear of the HS stock for a cheek rest. The extra support made a huge difference in the sight picture being stabilized... I think I'm on to something for me... I looked for an attachable cheek rest from HS yesterday but couldn't find one. Went on McMillans site and found one.. looks like I'll either be ordering one of those or fabricating one in the shop.. along with some lower hieght rings.. this scope has to work, the reviews have been too good for it not too..

Last edited:
Jack~

We spoke years ago about my '87 GN. In fact, I just pulled out my notes from our conversation back in '95, Cottons Performance... You're still located in MA, so I knew who you were. It's a small world for sure. My GN sits in the shop with 12K miles on it. I have a dedicated alcohol car that runs int he 8's as well.

You're on to something with the cheek rest, it will help with your cheek weld and enable you to get a better sight picture.

it's the "eye box" you're referring to... some scopes have larger areas where you can get a good sight picture, some are not so large.

I looked through an IOR Valdada some time back and noted it had a very small eye box, but glass was pretty clear (though fish-eyed at edges).

Compared to a Leupold, most scopes seem lacking in eye relief...

Try the scope out, it might end up being a good one. You should be putting your eye in exactly the same spot for each shot anyway, as cheek weld and hold are very important to accuracy.

Dan

Jack~

We spoke years ago about my '87 GN. In fact, I just pulled out my notes from our conversation back in '95, Cottons Performance... You're still located in MA, so I knew who you were. It's a small world for sure. My GN sits in the shop with 12K miles on it. I have a dedicated alcohol car that runs int he 8's as well.

You're on to something with the cheek rest, it will help with your cheek weld and enable you to get a better sight picture.

Excellent, I can't remember that far back, but you got it right. Very nice, 12,000 miles is sweet. When was the last time you drove it?

Been about 5 years since I had it out. It has some mods to it and I contacted you back then to take the next step. I'll give you a shout at the shop...

Been about 5 years since I had it out. It has some mods to it and I contacted you back then to take the next step. I'll give you a shout at the shop...

Great to talk with you this morning... no doubt a small world we live in.. I look forward to doing some business with you. I absolutely love the rifle stock on your website front page, much too nice for me.... I checked out the Karsten cheek welds, that looks like the ticket for now, but no doubt one of those custom stocks is in the near future.. gotta run, get loaded up for NH, NASCAR race..

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.