New to me Savage

Rich Coyle

Here is a new to me setup. I have no idea how many times it was fired or how fast it was fired or whether it was cooled between shots. The rifle is a Savage .22-250 with a heavy 26" barrel. I installed a new Sight-Mark Ezekiel 3-30X56 to try a new on the market scope. The combination with Burris Signature 30mm rings weighs 15lb 1oz. I also installed a Rifle Basics trigger set at 6 oz.

The first time at the range I was delighed about two things. The amount of crosshair movement matched the number of clicks! And the first three shot group with 52 grain factory ammo was 3/8" and the first three shot group with 40 grain factory ammo was 1/2". After firing one shot, I had to move the crosshair 9" down and 1 1/2" left to get it 1" high at 100 yards.

016_zps4d874ebe.jpg

018_zps8b6a173c.jpg

019_zpsed09f2d4.jpg

020_zpsee075983.jpg

wildcatter

That is a nice looking setup and an amazingly low priced scope for the features. Being a fan of high mag scopes I have a question or two. Does the scope dim at all as it approaches 30X? Have you shot a box with it to test tracking? How is clarity? How do you zero it? Is it touchy regards eye relief when on 30X? Thanks.

Engineering101,

It is about quarter to eight this evening. I just took it out and checked it on a target about 100 yards away and it didn't seem to dim clear up to 30X.

I didn't shoot a box, but I think I will do that next week. It did move the correct amount of distance for the clicks I put into it.

The clarity is odd. If I take time to really fiddle with the side focus, I can get it really clear on the target. But it not near as easy as with more expensive scopes. The eye relief seems to be the same as my Bushnell 6500 2 ½-16X42. It has lot of tunnel vision like a Nightforce. Don't get me wrong, Nightforce is in a class above Swarovski to me; based on side by side comparisons.

It comes with rings that are too high and covers that are O.K. I guess it's not bad for the money.

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.