New STW build

Buck268

After owning my Remington 700 7mm STW since 1990, I finally decided to give it a face lift. HS Precision stock, Hart 26" fluted barrel 1-9 twist, trued action, Rifle Basix trigger, skin bedded, all metal cerakoted, tapped for 8-40 base screws and a Leopold VX-6 3-18x50 CDS Fire Dot Duplex.
If everything works out, I plan to use the Barnes LRX 145. This is my hunting rifle and prior to this has taken 2 Elk, 3 Mule Deer, 1 Black Bear and a few Whitetail all with 1 shot using Barnes 150 gr.
I just finished loading some break in rounds and will post load work up once complete. I'll also upload rifle pics and grouping.

I can't say enough good things about "Walkers Custom Rifles" in Virginia. Jeff was awesome to deal with and truly cared about every detail. He spent hours with me talking about every detail before and after the build. He kept me updated during each step and will stand behind his work.

Welcome Buck. It sounds as if you did all the right things to tune her up. The only thing I might change is trying some heavier bullets. You're sitting on a lot of horsepower there. Depending on how it's chambered, you might try 175-180 grainers to really get the best out of the STW. I'm glad you had great communication with your smith, that always leaves a good taste in a shooter's mouth. Check back in and let us know how it goes.

Well after a month of rain I finally got my break in complete and received my new Redding Full comp dies with neck bushings and competition shell holder set and New LabRadar.
My Barnes 145 LRX with 80 gr pushed 3,550 fps and grouped awesome. Now I'm going to start tweeking with the power and seating depth.

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.