New 7mm STW build what Stock & Barrel

Discussion in '7mm STW' started by valleysnyper, Sep 27, 2018.

1. valleysnyper

valleysnyper Well-Known Member

I posted a while back I bought a early 90s model 70 and 7 mm STW never been shot. Over the winter I want to do some modifications looking for suggestions for an aftermarket Stock and Barrel I want to put a fluted barrel on and I don't want the gun so heavy I can't carry it around on a mountain hunt or where I need to do a lot of walking. Also am wondering about twist rate I would like to shoot a heavier bullet than 160 I would like to say I'm going to shoot long range but unfortunately 500 yards is about as far as I'm going to get to shoot in the state of Wisconsin. Any help would greatly be appreciated

2. KyCarl

KyCarl Well-Known Member

I'm planning a 28 Nosler which is about the same thing. I want to set it up for the 195 Bergers.. So the slowest twist would be an 8 but a 7 would be better. Several barrel makers that are good.. pretty much pick 'Em
    I like A-5 stocks.. But I'm shooting for 14-15 pounds unloaded no glass.
    Berger's site has a twist rate calculator that you can play with.

3. dok7mm

dok7mm Well-Known Member

I have two Bartlein 5r 26" 3B contour fluted, one 9 twist and one 8. Both are very accurate with 180s. 8 twist is for 195s, when I get around to it. Pillar bedded in my favorite stock, Manners EH-1. 8# 14 oz with March 3-24x52 mounted.