stw build

brushhunter

Hello everybody. First off let me say the brotherhood of the stw forum/thread is awesome. Nice to see a good communitie of ppl come together share info and knowledge with each other with out a second thought.

Ive always wanted stw but kind of started going a different direction thinking of different calibers and builds. Joined this site read through a lot of info and im back on the stw bug. So im thinking of getting a rem 700 sps stw off gun broker and building it up. New barrel action trued trigger and stock. I was thinking of having pac-nor due the barrel and action. There only a couple hour drive from my place. They did my dads 280 rem came out good, but hard times force sell before we fully had it dailed in. Can i assume that they can build me a 1000 yard steel ringer? Kind of calling on the experts here for input and opinions to help me get the best build possible.

Im thinking 28 inch barrel, 1 to 9 twist, sendero contour.This rifle will be duel purpose hunting and shooting. Any inputs to steer the right way would be awesome.

Hello everybody. First off let me say the brotherhood of the stw forum/thread is awesome. Nice to see a good communitie of ppl come together share info and knowledge with each other with out a second thought.

Ive always wanted stw but kind of started going a different direction thinking of different calibers and builds. Joined this site read through a lot of info and im back on the stw bug. So im thinking of getting a rem 700 sps stw off gun broker and building it up. New barrel action trued trigger and stock. I was thinking of having pac-nor due the barrel and action. There only a couple hour drive from my place. They did my dads 280 rem came out good, but hard times force sell before we fully had it dailed in. Can i assume that they can build me a 1000 yard steel ringer? Kind of calling on the experts here for input and opinions to help me get the best build possible.

Im thinking 28 inch barrel, 1 to 9 twist, sendero contour.This rifle will be duel purpose hunting and shooting. Any inputs to steer the right way would be awesome.

Welcome to the 7mm stwesterners. I'm new myself, just finished building one. If you plan from the get go is to buy a rem700, have it trued and install a new barrel, it might be worth buying a quality rem700 clone, from Stiller, for example - there are others. It probably comes out about the same in price. But you are arguably starting from a better platform with extra features: fluted bolt, larger base screw holes, heavier recoil lug, etc.

I did something similar, see below in the 7stw forum on Shilen build.

Good luck with whatever you decide.

Jason thats a nice looking rifle. Ill have to look into that action. Thanks for the advice. Hope others will post more good info for me.

Jason thats a nice looking rifle. Ill have to look into that action. Thanks for the advice. Hope others will post more good info for me.

Brush, I have to completely agree with Jason on the action issue. You said that you were going to buy a SPS, then overhaul it, saving only the action. For what the base rifle cost, you can get a solid action, then buy a quality barrel, then pick out a stock. My vote on the barrel, would be a Brux! I just built a 280' and used a Brux, and let's put it this way, my next build, in whatever caliber, will be a Brux!
In retrospect, iwish that I had done what I just recommended to you, when I built my last custom. Just a little food for thought!:)

Yeah guys aftermarket action seems a better way to go. So from im getting from the action jason used the internal mag box is 3.9. Im trying to get as much info as possible. Obviously this is my first build and i want it to be right and most importantly worth my money.

7stw you said look towards brux barrels. Are there any other barrel manufacturers i should look at? Any of them come with accuracy guarantee? I would try to research all this stuff for myself and not waste your guys time but im a commercial fishermen so i really dont get a lot of free time.

Welcome to the STW forum. I think you're on the right track as far as a 700 action as a starting platform. As mentioned, you will definitely want to have it trued and squared. You don't have to have a 7mmSTW gun to build off of, if you plan on scrapping everything, minus the action. You could go to Academy Sports or Walmart and buy a $379 Rem 700 ADL in a .300 WinMag and it will work just fine. Both use long-action magnum actions with the same bolt face. Just about any magnum long-action will work.

Or, you could go the custom route, which is always nice. Personally, I don't have any rifles with custom actions, but that's just b/c of the money factor, and not for any other reasons. If I could afford to build all my rifles from here on out with Stiller actions, I probably would.

I love the 700 action, and own several. It is my favorite action for bolt guns.

Keep us updated on your build. It's always nice to see people interested in the STW.

Brushunter -

This is rifle is the first time I've used a custom action - and for design reasons I moved towards the shilen. 1. I wanted a BDL format and the ability to have a repeater when hunting. This meant that if I used a Savage or Rem700 action I would have to have a smith open up the mag box and mess with the bolt release. This was not a problem with the shile at 3.950" for mag opening and side bolt release. 2. I have used Shilen barrels before and like them. The also make their own trigger, which I opted for based on reputation alone. 3. If I went all 'Shilen' then they could deliver a barrel action to my specs. All told the cost was right at $1600. Steep, but not crazy.

This left me a stock to buy (easy with Rem700 clone) on ebay, internal mag box from Wyatt, follower and spring, and bottom metal and screws. Finally, I needed a base to fit the Shilen action, which they sell. (Rem700 base doesn't fit.). I haven't added everything up, but probably no more than $2200 for a pretty near custom rifle. Custom includes throating chamber to dummies I sent Shilen.

So the question becomes, if you want to use a donor rem700 and not change out stock and trigger, then you will easily come in under $2200, but if you upgrade to a jewell trigger and an equivalent HS precision stock, then ... If you want a repeater that can handle over 3.6+" (I'm not sure what the max is for rem700), then you will be close to the $2000 mark.

You might be interested in a LongRange Rifles special truing, barreling offer going on:
LongRifles, Inc. Spring 2013 Remington M700 Accurizing Group Buy!

This is a group buy over at SnipersHide. The smith, Chad Dixon, has set up his shop to run high throughput CNC Rem700 truing and barrel fitting. The prices look insanely good. I have never worked with him, but am considering sending my one and only Rem700 for this service.

Sorry about the long email, but I am just trying to give you some insight into my thought process incase is helps.

I took my new Shilen based 7mm stw out today: I've updated on my Shilen/7mm stw thread.

Yeah guys aftermarket action seems a better way to go. So from im getting from the action jason used the internal mag box is 3.9. Im trying to get as much info as possible. Obviously this is my first build and i want it to be right and most importantly worth my money.

7stw you said look towards brux barrels. Are there any other barrel manufacturers i should look at? Any of them come with accuracy guarantee? I would try to research all this stuff for myself and not waste your guys time but im a commercial fishermen so i really dont get a lot of free time.

Brush, at one time in my life, I too was into commercial fishing. We did bluefin tuna in the spring and summer, and cod and shrimp in the winter. My hat is off to you now with all the regulations, and quota cuts.
Anywho, as far as the guarantee on the accuracy, that will be hard to regulate as the variables are huge. Different reamers, and skill levels are part of that equation, so the manufactors really can't warrant the accuracy. But word of mouth, and reputations will get you into a good barrel. My latest is the Brux, but have had incredible accuracy with Schneider, as well as Hart too. Broughton, Lilja, and Kreiger ALL make great barrels. My feeling is that if you buy one of the above mentioned barrels, and have it installed by a QUALITY gunsmith, you will enjoy great accuracy.
The processes, and QC at those makers nowadays is really tight. Most are air gauged, and hand lapped. You can almost spin the bottle, without going wrong. I'm just very impressed with the Brux. It broke in in very short order, shoots like a house on fire, and cleans like a dream. Just my 2 cents! Take care, and good luck fishing!

Brushunter -

This is rifle is the first time I've used a custom action - and for design reasons I moved towards the shilen. 1. I wanted a BDL format and the ability to have a repeater when hunting. This meant that if I used a Savage or Rem700 action I would have to have a smith open up the mag box and mess with the bolt release. This was not a problem with the shile at 3.950" for mag opening and side bolt release. 2. I have used Shilen barrels before and like them. The also make their own trigger, which I opted for based on reputation alone. 3. If I went all 'Shilen' then they could deliver a barrel action to my specs. All told the cost was right at $1600. Steep, but not crazy.

This left me a stock to buy (easy with Rem700 clone) on ebay, internal mag box from Wyatt, follower and spring, and bottom metal and screws. Finally, I needed a base to fit the Shilen action, which they sell. (Rem700 base doesn't fit.). I haven't added everything up, but probably no more than $2200 for a pretty near custom rifle. Custom includes throating chamber to dummies I sent Shilen.

So the question becomes, if you want to use a donor rem700 and not change out stock and trigger, then you will easily come in under $2200, but if you upgrade to a jewell trigger and an equivalent HS precision stock, then ... If you want a repeater that can handle over 3.6+" (I'm not sure what the max is for rem700), then you will be close to the $2000 mark.

You might be interested in a LongRange Rifles special truing, barreling offer going on:
LongRifles, Inc. Spring 2013 Remington M700 Accurizing Group Buy!

This is a group buy over at SnipersHide. The smith, Chad Dixon, has set up his shop to run high throughput CNC Rem700 truing and barrel fitting. The prices look insanely good. I have never worked with him, but am considering sending my one and only Rem700 for this service.

Sorry about the long email, but I am just trying to give you some insight into my thought process incase is helps.

I took my new Shilen based 7mm stw out today: I've updated on my Shilen/7mm stw thread.

That wasnt a long reply at all. That was very good info. Gave me a good idea about the custom route and all the parts and problems i might run into. Im pretty sure your right on with the rem 700 length mag well. Yeah i for sure want a repeater cause i will be hunting with this rifle. Thanks for the info help a lot and the link ill check it out.

Brush, at one time in my life, I too was into commercial fishing. We did bluefin tuna in the spring and summer, and cod and shrimp in the winter. My hat is off to you now with all the regulations, and quota cuts.
Anywho, as far as the guarantee on the accuracy, that will be hard to regulate as the variables are huge. Different reamers, and skill levels are part of that equation, so the manufactors really can't warrant the accuracy. But word of mouth, and reputations will get you into a good barrel. My latest is the Brux, but have had incredible accuracy with Schneider, as well as Hart too. Broughton, Lilja, and Kreiger ALL make great barrels. My feeling is that if you buy one of the above mentioned barrels, and have it installed by a QUALITY gunsmith, you will enjoy great accuracy.
The processes, and QC at those makers nowadays is really tight. Most are air gauged, and hand lapped. You can almost spin the bottle, without going wrong. I'm just very impressed with the Brux. It broke in in very short order, shoots like a house on fire, and cleans like a dream. Just my 2 cents! Take care, and good luck fishing!

Always nice to meet a fellow fishermen. Man dont even get me started lol. Yeah stuff has really gone hill since i started fishing. We crab in the winter, shrimp or drag spring and summer, and also have a mid water permit for hake. Dragging has gone to ifq's with 100% observer coverage. 99% of them are fresh out of college and have to do it to continue there biology carrer. We pretty much teach them more than the schools do in two years lol. Actually just got in freaking gal force cut the trip short.

But any who that brux sounds like its doing really good for you. Ill have to look up those othere barrel manufacturers and check them out. Ive heard hart and kreiger before. sounds like a good list. The fact that u say u cant really go wrong with the list above gives me confidence that they are the best in the business at what they do and must be popular manufacturers. Thanks for the info

I'd be more than happy help you out with the build if you like. I've done 9 STW's in the last 3 months ranging from weatherby, Remingtion, Winchester, and two Stiler actions. All have their plus and minus' as far base actions. Everyone is giving you great advice with everything so far. Talk to your gunsmith and see what he has to say on what he can and what he wants to do with it. Personally I'm running a Krieger 1:9 5R 29" barrel, #15 Heavy Palma contour. I love the barrel. I have had 1 krieger out of 20 that wouldn't shoot and every barrel maker has those, but every cheap maker has a barrel that will shoot lights out too. Really what you're paying for with a highend barrel is better quality control so the odds of you getting a barrel that will shoot acceptably is greater. I've been doing a lot of Hart barrels lately and they're ok, not my favorite. They all shoot well, for short periods of time, the design of their rifle cuts seem to foul up and start to open up groups after 5-7 rds from my experience. Maybe they get better with time but I've haven't held on to one for more than 50-60rds to find out.

If you have any questions feel free to call the shop and we can answer any questions you may have.

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.