New STW build...

Reloader

Just got my 7STW in Friday afternoon.

Specs:
Borden Timberline
Brux #3, 9 twist, 26"
Timney set at 3.5(this one wouldn't go any lower)
McM New Hunter, Edge fill
Stock CKd by Eddie grey w/ black web
Metal glass bead
BDL metal
Swaro Z5 3.5-18x44 in TLW lows

[/quote]

Shoots factory ammo ok. Federal Premium 150 Nosler Solid Base avg 3259 fps.
1st group from the rifle w/ the FP went .442:

2nd group was .497:

**** nice rifle. I've heard Robert builds a nice gun.

Any reason you chose to run without a brake?

Any plans for hand loads in the future?

Thanks guys!

es,

I despise brakes. It's not bad enough to need one for me personally as the sole purpose of this rifle will be hunting, so I'm not worried about a few range sessions here and there prior to each season. I have a pile of other rifles to shoot for fun.

Yes, I've already started load development. I rarely shoot factory ammo unless it's a great deal. I was going to try some 120TTSXs at 3700ish for sub 400yd hunting, but results are not that promising thus far(all loads have been around an inch with the 120TTSXs). 150NBTs shot less than 1/2moa, but I just started with them. Going to tinker with seating depth a bit and settle on a 150NBT load for starters. After the season I plan to try a few more pills and decide on a load for next year.

I'd bought 5 boxes of the Federal loads really cheap and they shoot well enough I may just go with them this season for whitetail. It's zeroed at 200 right now with the Feds, and I'll be setting up the scope for dial ups this weekend. Plan to have a batch of 150NBTs ready as well in case the Feds don't repeat. Our rifle comes in next weekend and I head to TX in a few weeks, so not much time to mess around too much for now.

Have a good one,

loder

I know what you mean on the brake. I have a love/hate relationship with the ones on my guns.

Sucks that the 120's wouldn't do better for you. Deer wouldn't like that one I bet.

Good luck out there with your new rig.

Beautiful rifle..... real eye candy! Your 1:9 twist rate is designed for heavier bullets i would not try and do load development on anything less than 150 gr.

Thanks guys!

es,

I despise brakes. It's not bad enough to need one for me personally as the sole purpose of this rifle will be hunting, so I'm not worried about a few range sessions here and there prior to each season. I have a pile of other rifles to shoot for fun.

Yes, I've already started load development. I rarely shoot factory ammo unless it's a great deal. I was going to try some 120TTSXs at 3700ish for sub 400yd hunting, but results are not that promising thus far(all loads have been around an inch with the 120TTSXs). 150NBTs shot less than 1/2moa, but I just started with them. Going to tinker with seating depth a bit and settle on a 150NBT load for starters. After the season I plan to try a few more pills and decide on a load for next year.

I'd bought 5 boxes of the Federal loads really cheap and they shoot well enough I may just go with them this season for whitetail. It's zeroed at 200 right now with the Feds, and I'll be setting up the scope for dial ups this weekend. Plan to have a batch of 150NBTs ready as well in case the Feds don't repeat. Our rifle comes in next weekend and I head to TX in a few weeks, so not much time to mess around too much for now.

Have a good one,

loder
You have a beautiful rig and it shoots at least as good as it looks.

My advice would be to avoid the light bullets as they are nothing but flying bombs at STW velocities.

When you start working up a load start with the 160gr bullets and go up and I think you'll be very satisfied.

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.