New Scope

hugheserj

Hi All,
Long time follower and rare poster.
I'm currently buying components for a new hunting rifle build - Manners EH1, Defiance Deviant, Proof Carbon etc and thinking I'll go 30 Nosler with a custom reamer set up for 215 Bergers.

I'm looking for a scope to go on this rifle and cant find anything that ticks all the boxes. I have a Zeiss V8 2.8-20x56 (which will go on this build unless i find something else) a Zeiss V4 6-24 on my 270 and a Leupold VX3 4-12 in storage.

An older Zeiss Victory 6-24x56 would probably do what I want if I could find one in New Zealand.

My Requirements:
1. 30mm tube min and 50mm+ objective lens
2. Clean reticle, Zeiss 60 etc
3. Illuminated dot
4. 20 max magnification minimum, ideally 24
5. Nothing with huge turrets (especially windage) that dig into your side or adjust while walking. Locking is beneficial like my Zeiss V8

Ideally any other suggestions will be hunting specific. I've looked at nightforce nxs and all the reticles are different from what i'm after.

Most Swarovzski hunting scopes are limited to one full turn in elevation so the X5i 5-56 might be the only scope that will do what I need but still doesn't have a clean reticle option like the Zeiss 60.

Appreciate all your thoughts.

That v8s pretty good. I have one and like it. The only other one that I can think of is the S&b 3-21x50 EXOS.

That is no simple reticle.
Seems like the OP is looking for SFP too, since all of his options indicate that.

What about the new S&B Exos 3-21×50 w. D7 reticle?
S&B PMII 3-20×50US SFP
March F 2.5-25×52

Apologies, I should have mentioned SFP...thanks for picking that up. They are all great options thanks. I'm not very familiar with March but will investigate more.

Other options that have popped up as I've researched more are Leupold VX6 4-24 with firedot reticle and the very reasonably priced Sightron S3. Would be interesting to see how the Sightron glass holds up against the competition with premium price tags.

Another one to look at would be the new Trijicon AccuPoint 4-24x50. 30mm tube, capped windage, exposed elevation with 20moa per turn turrets, 100 Moa total elevation. Reticle is very similar to the Zeiss 60 but with 1 moa hash marks added and the center dot is green and only .18 Moa. Only weighs 27 ozs and sells for $1250 Usd. They also have the Tenmile version in Mil/mil with battery powered illumination in red or green. That one is a little lighter and a little cheaper as well. Thinking about picking up the accupoint myself.

Accupoint

Tenmile

Perhaps the Sig Whiskey5 5-25x52?

Fits all your criteria. Comes with a "moderately" hashed reticle, or with a simple duplex/dot. Capped windage and locking elevation with zero stop. Also has a pretty sweet internal level system. Not sure about New Zealand, but around here, they're going for about 65%-75% of MSRP.

I have one, and the things I really like are...

1) Level is sweet. It's precise and very easy to use.
2) It's relatively short and compact for its power, weight isn't bad either at ~800 g
3) Glass is outstanding for its price point.
4) Tracking is spot on and repeatable.

Hi All,
I'm currently buying components for a new hunting rifle build - Manners EH1, Defiance Deviant, Proof Carbon etc and thinking I'll go 30 Nosler with a custom reamer set up for 215 Bergers.

I'm looking for a scope to go on this rifle and cant find anything that ticks all the boxes. I have a Zeiss V8 2.8-20x56 (which will go on this build unless i find something else) a Zeiss V4 6-24 on my 270 and a Leupold VX3 4-12 in storage.

An older Zeiss Victory 6-24x56 would probably do what I want if I could find one in New Zealand.

My Requirements:
3. Illuminated dot
5. Nothing with huge turrets (especially windage) that dig into your side or adjust while walking. Locking is beneficial like my Zeiss V8

Ideally any other suggestions will be hunting specific. I've looked at nightforce nxs and all the reticles are different from what i'm after.

Most Swarovzski hunting scopes are limited to one full turn in elevation so the X5i 5-56 might be the only scope that will do what I need but still doesn't have a clean reticle option like the Zeiss 60.

https://armament.com/tangent-theta/model-tt525p Many reticles to choose from.

Apologies, I should have mentioned SFP...thanks for picking that up. They are all great options thanks. I'm not very familiar with March but will investigate more.

Other options that have popped up as I've researched more are Leupold VX6 4-24 with firedot reticle and the very reasonably priced Sightron S3. Would be interesting to see how the Sightron glass holds up against the competition with premium price tags.
The new Vx6HD 4-24 is an awesome scope. Myself & 4 of my buddies upgraded to the VX6 this year & absolutely love it. It's my first illuminated reticle optic on a long range rifle & I couldn't be more pleased. Also the TMOA reticle is simple & Leupold's Turret system is amazing. The VX6 is however significantly larger than my VX3 it replaced yet only 8oz heavier. I know there are a few good sales here in the States on the vx6 so Im sure that's the case for New Zealand as well. Also the VX6 is a FFP reticle just in case you strictly wanted SFP. Your new 30Nosler sounds like a sweet build, I feel you're gonna be happy with whatever scope you choose

Here's a comparison if interested

Attachments

• 041E2D10-10D1-41FC-9D94-BACB98F434AA.jpeg
    041E2D10-10D1-41FC-9D94-BACB98F434AA.jpeg
    1.7 MB · Views: 121
Hi All,

My Requirements:
3. Illuminated dot

Zeiss V8 2.8-20x56 100%

Huge fan of the sightron SIII for the price. I had the 8-32 and was very pleased with the glass. Only traded it to get out of a MOA scope and into a Mil. I'm waiting for a comparison with the 6-24. My understanding is they are the same components but assembled in different factories.

my go to is a Leupold Mark5 HD 5-25. I am also waiting on an LRP 8-24x for a backup. Really like that glass too for about 1/2 price

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.