New Scope

Swaro 2.3x18x56

Way better glass. Better low light and I would imagine a good bit lighter. Nothing wrong with nightforce. Better glass greatly diminishes the need for more magnification.

I use a Steiner 2-10x on my 338 Win Mag for elk hunting in Utah, distances on the long end are generally less than 600 yards

Last edited:
https://nightforceoptics.com/nx8/nx8-25-20x50-f1

I'm sure a lot of you hunt in places where you might encounter a 50 yd snap shot or a 1000 yd shot in the same day. For years my scope of choice for those conditions has been a Nightforce 2.5 - 10 but for little critters at long ranges more magnification would be helpful.
Is it just me or is this the best scope for those conditions.
I really like the zeiss 2.5x10 for elk and moose, really clear , great glass

Buy a March X, 5-50x56 and you don't have to worry about anything else. Great glass, great magnification. Don't worry about price because you can dump them recommended 5-25 scopes and your spotting scope.

And for those that say you don't need more than 25x.. well the scope has that setting too.

The link the OP has posted is to the 2.5-20x50. I guess I am not seeing where the 8 power minimum is coming from. I do agree that the 2.5-20x50 may be the best all around scope possible. If fact I am currently in the process of selling things I really like in order to potentially purchase one in MOA with MOAR ret.
I don't see where the 8 min is either

https://nightforceoptics.com/nx8/nx8-25-20x50-f1

I'm sure a lot of you hunt in places where you might encounter a 50 yd snap shot or a 1000 yd shot in the same day. For years my scope of choice for those conditions has been a Nightforce 2.5 - 10 but for little critters at long ranges more magnification would be helpful.
Is it just me or is this the best scope for those conditions.
Personally I like all the 5 x 20, 5 x 25 variations on the market...chose anyone that fits your budget!

Eight power might be a little high for a 50 yard shot....

Musta' been a brain fart. I think he must have looked up at the link where it said "NX8-25" and never clicked on the link. Either way, doesn't matter, just threw a few folks off for a few. We're good. That NX8 is an 8x zoom factor (2.5 X 8 = 20) which makes it pretty darn versatile. Love my NXS.

I don't think night force makes any scopes in China hopefully I'm not wrong,Possibly a knock off or something like that
Thought you hat is what you meant.
My scope Guru passed away this spring.
Just went to him with questions.
He did the scope reviews in Gun Digest for years.
Brutally honest.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.