New scope

Quintus thanks for your reply but no worries thats what makes this country great everyone is entitled to their opinion even FTRshooter
I gave you two very big hints, but yet you persisted in what I now believe is crass ignorance. The good thing is that can be fixed.
You twice stated that you are looking at 5X25X56 scopes. There are no such things. The accepted nomenclature of a scope is simply magnification with an "X" (which most people think it means "by") and the size of the objective lens in millimeters. Like a 4X32, where the 4 is a 4X scope with a 32 millimeter objective lens.

Now, if you have a variable scope, the magnification is a range, like the perennial favorite 3-9X.

You have to have both pieces of data (magnification range and objective lens diameter) to easily and quickly describe the scope and its capabilities. If you only provide the magnification, we don't know it the scope is useful for low light situations.

So, when you twice stated you were looking at 5X25X56, that was meaningless. I believe what you were describing was a 5-25X56, or a 5X-25X56. Now, I know many of you will think this is nitpicking, but this is supposed to be a site where people can come get reliable information about optics, and we can't even get the nomenclature right?

I will state right now that when I read a post where someone talks about scopes and does the 5X25X56 thing, or the even more ignorant 5X25 or 4-12, I immediately dismiss the writer as ignorant and don't even bother reading the rest of the post, knowing that the person who wrote it knows nothing about scopes.

Now, I realize that some of you will take offense to this and decide to to the childish trick of purposefully getting the nomenclature wrong. But I am comforted by the thought that some will learn and move on.

It's just as easy to get it right and show that you know what you're talking/writing about.

If you look at the specs for the K525i compared to the ATACAR 5-25X56 F1, you will see that the Kahles is somewhat lighter and shorter than the ATACAR and that its minimum focus distance is 20 meters compared to 45 yards for the ATACAR.

The ATACAR has substantially more elevation range than the Kahles, which is surprising as they both have 34mm tubes. The glass in the ATACAR is HD, but I cannot find any information on the glass of the Kahles at their website.

I know of several shooters on the line who have Kahles, the K1050i model, and they like them, but the glass is underwhelming.

I know of several shooters on the line who have Kahles,
For those obtuse, unwashed of you, "on the line" is cool guy speak referencing the firing line at either the high end gun club/range or match "arena" as it were. Obviously FTRshooter has gone to great lengths to master the English language and thus wield it in a brilliant show of superior intelligence. Bravo, well done old man. Good show and all that. Nice use of published data and seldom observed nuance of the ever important minimum focus distance (very authoritative exhibiting the attention to detail of a true expert). As impressive as this all is, you don't have any first hand knowledge of the actual performance of either optic. I'm certain the OP can read a spec sheet. But as we all know what is written and what is proven in the field can be two very different things. In my opinion.

For those obtuse, unwashed of you, "on the line" is cool guy speak referencing the firing line at either the high end gun club/range or match "arena" as it were. Obviously FTRshooter has gone to great lengths to master the English language and thus wield it in a brilliant show of superior intelligence. Bravo, well done old man. Good show and all that. Nice use of published data and seldom observed nuance of the ever important minimum focus distance (very authoritative exhibiting the attention to detail of a true expert). As impressive as this all is, you don't have any first hand knowledge of the actual performance of either optic. I'm certain the OP can read a spec sheet. But as we all know what is written and what is proven in the field can be two very different things. In my opinion.
I invite you to look here.
Over my decades of competitive shooting, I have seen and lookec through a lot of scopes.

Since this is a forum about long range optics in discussion board about long range hunting, one would be fooled into thinking that sharing some knowledge about long range optics would be welcomed here. Also, in my experience the words "long range" and "cheap" do not belong in the same sentence unless there is negation in there.

I also notice that you provide no useful information, just a holier than thou attitude.

Yeah, I'm just a DICK that way. I have found the best way to discourage people that are new to anything is to make them feel stupid and unwelcomed. We are fortunate enough to live in a country that allows us to have all the guns we want and to shoot them as we wish, more or less. We have a segment of the population fighting to take this right and it takes unity, money, and effort to keep those loud *** sheep at bay. Your not helping FTRshooter.
As far as my input on this scope comparison, I have not used the Kahles. I have put Leupolds and Nightforce through some pretty good trials and liked both brands. I have a special place in my heart for the Mark 4 and have a bit of an emotional bias. In all honesty for ease of use and current dependability I find it hard to believe you could do more than equal Nightforce at best.

Last edited:
FTRshooter, really? The rest of us knew what was ment by 5x25x56. Maybe he forgot the -
maybe notthe point is you knew what he meant and decided to make it a big deal. You could have just said hey no big deal but it's written like this for clarification, 5-25x56.
Even you make mistakes, case in point, what is a lookec? You say you do it through many scopes. See it happens and even i am not immune to it.

We have enough problems with the folks that want to take our guns away so we don't need desension amongst our own. So I don't see the need for members on this site to have attitudes.

Respectful discussions and debates promote a healthy learning enviroment, which is what I think most want by being on this forum,... if not please drop out and take your ego and arrogance somewhere else.

The 2 scopes mentioned are both great optics and your splitting hairs between the two. Someone mentioned pick your reticle that suits you best and run with it. That is really the best advice anyone can give. The only thing I can put in is being clumsy I fall a lot and had to send binoculars and riflescopes back for warranty. Lieca, Swarovski, Kahles and Meopta all have warranty issues from waiting 6-10 months turnaround to zero answers on emails and lack of communication. I've had great luck with Leupold, vortex and nightforce. Those 3 companies are fast, have great communication and even are willing help you even if it's your fault.

As for the troll the best thing you can do is ignore that person. They get a rise out of your responses and thrive on that, looking for attention. He must be kicked out or blocked from his normal MMA forum for doing the exact same thing. Good luck with your choice of scope, you cannot go wrong with either one.

I knew exactly what scope was mentioned. I don't care if he put an x or a dash everyone on this site knew it was a 5 to 25 power. I like my 300 wizzum and my 257roy and the 257bob. Everybody knows what they are even if the terminology is wrong. And why do long range scopes have to be expensive to be considered long range equipment. My friend won the 1000 yd world open with a 100 dollar simmons. I've shot lots of 5 inch groups at 1000 yd at 15 power. I would think any decent 3-15 or 4-16 would get it done. I personally like the 36x24x36 models best.
Shep

Yep had to hit the ole ignore button this week on a fool from down under for this same stuff nothing to offer but belittle
made me ashamed to be from TEXAS a man asked a question and had to deal with that crap thats just wrong I don't give a xxxx who you are there is always somebody that knows more but they dont have to be ugly about it

I invite you to look here.
Over my decades of competitive shooting, I have seen and lookec through a lot of scopes.

Since this is a forum about long range optics in discussion board about long range hunting, one would be fooled into thinking that sharing some knowledge about long range optics would be welcomed here. Also, in my experience the words "long range" and "cheap" do not belong in the same sentence unless there is negation in there.

I also notice that you provide no useful information, just a holier than thou attitude.
The irony of this post is truly impressive, the only useful information besides a spec list from a website you've introduced here is a helping hand to mute you now.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.