New scale

get that 505 from butter bean that's a great scale that's what I use. I wouldn't even think about an electronic scale too slow for me if u use ball powder no reason for it. as long as you don't go below half a hopper in the powder measure it never changes the charge.
A&D fx 120i takes less than 2 seconds. I also have a RCBS balance beam
I sure can't measure in less than 2 seconds with it
The inexpensive digital scales that I have for other purposes drift and are very slow.
I'm not saying there's a thing wrong with balance beam scales, just be a little careful deriding something you may not have tried.

A&D fx 120i takes less than 2 seconds. I also have a RCBS balance beam
I sure can't measure in less than 2 seconds with it
The inexpensive digital scales that I have for other purposes drift and are very slow.
I'm not saying there's a thing wrong with balance beam scales, just be a little careful deriding something you may not have tried.
I've had one, I went back to the beam, I'm in no hurry, in 10 years the A&D will be obsolete and everyone will be making fun of folks still using them, The beam will still be the same

I have a very old Pacific beam scale. I can't believe it's survived 5 cross country moves..but the check weights confirm it's still on the money. I use it to confirm the throw weights of my RCBS Iite. I find my lite to be very consistent. Having said that I almost always have to set it to throw a tenth of grain high to be dead on. I believe that margin of error is the advertised accuracy spec.
I find it easy and not a waste of time to take the charge from the lite, dump it in the beam pan and drop the charge in the cartridge, by then the lite is done dumping its charge.

I used a Dillon electronic scale for several years. Then it began to throw inaccurate charges. I called Dillon, thinking they'd make it good or replace. They said their scales are not covered by their bullet-proof warranty.
Ditto. They will give about half off on a trade in.

I just use the beam scale to get the powder measure on point. after that, I don't have to weigh it again ill check it every 100 rounds but it never lets me down. It holds a pound of powder so I can load 500 pistol rounds without stopping. As long as u don't let it get below half full no problem

I have used the A&D 120 with the Autotrickler for three years now and wouldn't go back to the beam. Yes it was expensive (around $750 for the setup) but it gives consistent accuracy to 0.02 grain (one granule of Varget) which with most loads will only vary the MV by less than 3 FPS. If your SD's are greater, then something else is not consistent with your loading technique. As much as I admire Butterbean, this is the one time I disagree with him. Also the Autotrickler is totally automatic so I just start with a dish of powder about 3 grains less than my final load out of a Hornady powder thrower and let the machine do the rest. Rarely I will pick out 1 or 2 granules of powder with forceps when I am being really picky about the charge.

I have used the A&D 120 with the Autotrickler for three years now and wouldn't go back to the beam. Yes it was expensive (around $750 for the setup) but it gives consistent accuracy to 0.02 grain (one granule of Varget) which with most loads will only vary the MV by less than 3 FPS. If your SD's are greater, then something else is not consistent with your loading technique. As much as I admire Butterbean, this is the one time I disagree with him. Also the Autotrickler is totally automatic so I just start with a dish of powder about 3 grains less than my final load out of a Hornady powder thrower and let the machine do the rest. Rarely I will pick out 1 or 2 granules of powder with forceps when I am being really picky about the charge.
I agree with you they are an excellent platform, They just aint for me

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.