New rifle!...which optic?

JSTAR3006

Just picked up a new rifle in 300 wsm for the up coming hunting season! Just need opinions is all, between two scopes I've narrowed it down too.

Burris XTR II 4-20x50 or Leupold VX-3i LRP 6.5-20x50?

Both scopes are same price range and they both have what I'm looking for in a mid to long range scope for mostly hunting but, target shooting as well.

I have 20/20 vision still as I'm still pretty young just need opinions on the clarity/sharpness and light gathering between the 2! Any help would be greatly appreciated.

I have the Burris XTR II 4-20x50 on my 280AI and really like it. I feel like its a good scope for the money.

I personally do not like to go big game hunting with anything greater than 4x on the lower end. I prefer 2 or 3x on the low end for an all around hunting rifle. That being said I have taken game with a 6.5x20 in the past. I just want to be ready for a quick close shot if it presents itself.

I really like the Burris XTR II. My only issue is when my buddy and I put it through it's paces it failed. Hopefully it was just a fluke. My buddy is sending it to Burris to check out what the issue is. Customer service is good. So that's a plus.

We used his rifle during a 3 day comp that was 33 miles long, lots of obstacles, positional shooting, transitioning to a pistol, etc. He definitely beat the crap out of it.

We realized on day 3 that when he was making his corrections he was still shooting all over the place. We thought it was his nerves. After the comp he did a box test, and he confirmed that the turrets no longer work. It won't return to zero either.

I use SWFA, Athlon, and Weaver. Their top tier scopes are all similar to the Burris XTR. No experience with leupold.

If you like the Burris I would look at the Veracity over the XTR. The reason I say this is that the Veracity is kind of the hunting version of the XTR. This gives you a little thicker reticle which is easier to find on the low end of your zoom. As for glass quality I think that would be a toss up for you to decide with your eyes. The Leupold will be lighter and more compact and I think the XTR has a 34mm tube.

I have two of the Burris Xtr ii on my 338 Edges , just love them !
I'm going to push one to 2000 yards when the weather brakes here !

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.