New Optic source

Hi Chris,

Front mounting ring on the cat scope must be huge? (60mm obj + wall thickness). Looks very interesting.

David.

Chris, roger on ist FP. Anyone "here" (US) going to supply the "Hose Clamp" front ring need for that Hummer? Home Depot??? I told the Benchrest boys who will not allow spotting scopes, this was going to happen; thanks for proving the point. Any QC observations on the new line of Kalinka scopes? I plan to order one for F-O competition. cordially, Overbore /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif

[ QUOTE ]
Chris, from the invoice: "Product Name: VPOI 6-24 Lightmaster Series w/Illuminex Reticle. WA rifle scope with 11 setting illuminated US Mildot Reticle. 30mm Lightmaster tube and parallax eliminating dual focus system". Price $199.97".
I believe WA is wide angle. Tube has a nitrogen fill port. This is a good feeling hard service unit. Clicked it 121 1/8th moa clicks up, back then 127 1/8th moa clicks down then back up. Returned to zero aim point. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif Overbore

[/ QUOTE ]

Any info regarding toughness in the recoil area, as in use on large bore, high intensity cartridge with muzzle brake?

Edited here:

oops, should have read more. Reviews section said the scope used on the african hunt was also used on Russian .51 something or another rifle. I couldn't find that scope on the web pages.

I also "seem" to see some similarities between the looks of these scopes and an alaskan guide that I have. Can't say anything for certain but.....

My main concerns is 1) FFP and 2) Handling recoil and I guess 3rdly ease of doing business with them in the US.

Thanks

Roy

Since this is a 1st focal plane scope and a variable, I plan to carry my Palm 550 with the Horus MP and the Pesja programs loaded to verify my click values, time permitting. Ditto for putting a colminator on the tube and running full magnification and click checks but so far this looks like a quality product with wide uses at a fair price. If we just had a good moa reticle to match the 1/8th moa click values---. WOW!!! OVERBORE

[ QUOTE ]
But just to set you wondering too

[/ QUOTE ]

...I'm wondering if you bought that table cloth in the dark /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

...wild looking scope too!

Jeez - so many things.

OK - The front tube is 64mm - The OBJ "ring" 79mm. Apel do a 64mm ring BUT I have a mate in the UK working on something (better?) /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif Rear tube is 30mm. SHORT at 37cms.

SCH.JPG

The Tablecloth is my Russian mates. He called me late last night (thanks again Ivan) - the scope is now in Italy so should arrive in a couple of days.

Actually I was wondering if that might not be a great "spring meadows" camo pattern. Lets face it NO law officer is going to take it seriously.

Reticle may not be so apt for all the world. Basically that's my fault - OK!

It's a 1/2mil dot (dots are 1/20mr or 5mm at 100m). The centre dot and every second dot (i.e 1mr interspaced) have a 1/3mr (approx 1moa) ring around them. At 1mr radius (2mr diameter=approx 7moa) there is a THICK (1/5mr) ring.

cjwret.jpg

More when I recieve the beastie. I'm as excited as a very excitable person with an extra special reason to be excited.

It's been a process of many months.

Clicks are 5mm at 100m - The downside is only 5mr either side of centre.

Chris

[ QUOTE ]
I'm as excited as a very excitable person with an extra special reason to be excited.

[/ QUOTE ] /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif I've been chuckling since I read that!

Chris, Hanging out in the Tapis bars, eh? That scope took some noodlin and perhaps a Sangria or two to inspire the design? Has a strong marketing possibility if the reticle is improved to the market. Suggest you contact the Head Wonk at Kalinka in S.C. to , pardon the pun, "see" what may be in the offing. Giving birth to a new one is rewarding. Congrats/well done /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif Overbore

I have to agree with MagMan it's hard to beat a "full" 12 month warranty and 15 day "money back" guarantee.

Are you guys nuts? The WORST scope maker out there will give you better than a 12 month warranty. I would alos wager you would NEVER have a warranty issue resolved.

I personally would never buy from KALINKA.

I got bad vibes talking with them and decided not to. It does not mean however that their product range is poor.

I was lucky to have a friend in Moscow (he's the Russian MD of a US company there) who got me in touch with the factory (not Kalinka). The Factory documents indicate 2 years warranty.

Dealing with Russia has been a learning process. SLOW but so far VERY open and honest. And willing to listen. They realise (now?) that the West sees things differently.

Their philosophy is different. One difference is that russian optics I've seen to date can be repaired by any competant optical refurbisher - as long as you dont dismantle in the MUD and put greasy fingers on the optics - it's even HOME-MAINTAINABLE. It tends to be made to do a job rather than overdo it. Read USO's comments on Nitrogen purging!

The big thingy I clasify as R+D.

Chris, some of the Russian gear, like the Hind chopper is rock solid and is a role model for toughness but I have had bad reports on the sniper pages of coatings comming off the interiors of scopes and reticles moving. I have noted the CHICOMS have copied the Russian scopes and put their cheap products into e-bay distribution. Kalinka is, I believe, totally honest but in the learning curve process. My scope had zero instuctions or data with it. At what power do I range? Many thanks, Overbore

[ QUOTE ]
My scope had zero instuctions or data with it. At what power do I range? Many thanks, Overbore

[/ QUOTE ]I'd call Kalinka if I were you. The PPO series come (leastways all mine have) with a 16 page manual. Maybe the VPOI do not!

I have always heard that to a Russian "more is better". In other words "10 OK jets are better than 5 really good ones. All I cna think of is a story I heard about a MIG pilto who defected to the USA after visiting Cuba.

He was asked about the capabilities of his jet and specifically its ability to reach Mach II. To which he replied "well the engines are capable of Mach II but the wings would shear off"

As for Russian optics, I don't see many Russian digital cameras at my local Best Buy.

Dont confuse SOVIET with RUSSIAN.

I recall a few (and only a few) years ago the world saying "ROMANIAN OPTICS? Yeah right!" - I doubt many would dispute that IOR are fine, now.

The Russians are way up there in astrological optics. And it's still dificult to get an export licence for alot of optics stuff. Like it is getting a Super Sniper out of the US - and that's not even American.

One thing interesting - Under IR light most cheaper Russian scopes (painted - that looks, well, cheap) are not visible at distance - Just about anything else reflects IR like you wont believe (unless you paint them - doh!). Not tried a USO but if it's anodised it'll shine like a mirror. S&B's do! - Leupies/NF the same.

Maybe I'm making a mistake - of course - but all progress involves some risk. As for digi cameras - I cant comment (it's not my field) - but maybe it's that they have poor CCDs, not poor lenses.

Warning! This thread is more than 19 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts