New Ride

Slick8

I picked this up used from Gander Mountain recently. Made a great deal on it, thanks to Mike for helping me out with the numerous inspections and questions. Like I said I got an unbelievable deal on this rifle but it was still a good amount of coin for a used rifle.

I went to the range yesterday for the first time and after two shots to dial in at 50 this was my first 100 yard group with Fed 160 Trophy Bonded Tipped ammo. I then shot HSM 140 Berger's and Fed 140 Bal Tips into the low .7's. That's all I did as I had already had a long day at the lease and the wind was howling.

I'll likely shoot these for this season and start working up a handload with 168 Bergers in the off season.

I had this Nikon on the rifle I sold to buy this one and now plan to get a Vortex Viper PST for this rig.

Cooper Mod 52 Jackson Hunter in .280 Rem.

Attachments

• Cooper 2.jpg
    Cooper 2.jpg
    60.2 KB · Views: 15
  • Cooper.jpg
    Cooper.jpg
    68.5 KB · Views: 13
  • Cooper 4.jpg
    Cooper 4.jpg
    31.6 KB · Views: 21
looks like a great shooter forsure. what model is that monarch? interested in selling to get that vortex? im kinda torn between a monarch and the pst right now, but for the right price i would be swayed lol.

i think youll be just fine with boxed ammo for this season with groups like that

Been my experience that HSM ammo is about as close as you can get to handloads without handloading.:)

Nice folks to deal with as well.

looks like a great shooter forsure. what model is that monarch? interested in selling to get that vortex? im kinda torn between a monarch and the pst right now, but for the right price i would be swayed lol.

i think youll be just fine with boxed ammo for this season with groups like that

I'm going to put it on a Savage Mod 10 Tac that I've had in the safe for a while. I have a Richards Thumbhole stock that I need to finish and a Rifle Basix trigger to install. I'm going to put this Nikon on that rifle. It's a 5-20x44 with BDC reticle.

It appears with a 1:9 twist it prefers the heavier bullets, if HSM loaded the 168 for the 280 I'd be all over it.

Well I added the Vortex Viper pst 4-16 and made my second trip to the range. Again it liked the 160 Fed TB tipped over the HSM 140 Bergers and Fed 140 BT.

It shot two similar groups with the 160 at 100 and 1.7" at 300. It shot the 140's both into just under 3. I need some better quality paper to accurately measure these groups at 100.

I think on my next trip I'll dial these 160's in dead on at 100 and start working on the come up's for down range.

Attachments

• Cooper vortex.jpg
    Cooper vortex.jpg
    63.9 KB · Views: 16
  • Cooper group2.jpg
    Cooper group2.jpg
    38.6 KB · Views: 14
That is 1 sweet rig!!! Talking about a new rig I'm doing this post on my new phone it's 1 of those galaxy s 3 models I'm talking this message in I'm not even writing incredible hard to believe. Anyway I'm diggin your new rifle it's pretty sweet congrats hope it shoots for you

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.