New Reloader Checklist

megastink

I'm looking for a complete, comprehensive checklist for reloading both new and fired brass. Every manual seems to start off somewhere different. Some trim the brass, some start with sizing. I'm new to this, and I just want a printable checklist made by someone who is meticulous, because I want to be meticulous, and I don't know where to start. Surely, someone here has, or can create one.

And by all means, design it for a moron. Hell, it can even start with "1) locate your dominant hand. 2) Pick up brass 3) Look at brass with your eyeballs". I don't care. I just really don't want to miss any steps and waste my time, or worse.

Any resource anyone has would be greatly appreciated.

If it helps, I'm planning on loading for: .223, 6mm Creedmoor, 6.5 Grendel, 6.5 Swede, .270 Win, 7mm Rem Mag.

Thank you all for your help in advance.

Megastink: I attached a generic example step by step for a friend of mine that was not so much new to reloading but just didn't load often enough to keep on course. I am sure you can add lots of steps such as annealing but my friend wanted no part of that so not included. Strongly recommend you compare to a really good reloading manual to add or subtract as needed. Some of these steps ARE NOT mandatory nor may not be necessary for reloading. This is also very basic and I suggest printing it out and add and subtract comments that you will receive in this thread. Also links to resources to build your own step by step process. You cannot have good consistent ammo without written steps that you develop and follow precisely each time. You will modify as you go along with knowledge gained and lessons learned on what worked for you and what did not. I recommend having a 3 ring binder for each cartridge/rifle so you can accurately track your loads, performance and even round count for each rifle.

LINKS:
RCBS Reloading Steps: RCBS - good visual step by step to add to your process
Redding Reloading Guide: Redding - good visual step by step
Alliant Reloaders Guide: Alliant Powder Reloaders Guide
Hodgdon Powder Reloading for Beginners: Hodgdon Powder

I attached the Redding Reloading Guide below.

Do NOT ASSUME this IS ALL you have to do but just a starting point for you to develop your own reloading process. These are just suggestions and use at your own risk.

Also some basic reloading datasheets. They are in PDF but if want in Word, send me PM with email and I will forward to you so you can modify to whatever floats your boat.

Lots of really good folks here that can chime in with excellent suggestions as well. Hope this helps you begin development of your own process.

Attachments

• 2021.01.05 Example Reloading Steps.pdf
    372.4 KB · Views: 138
  • LRH.2021.08.27.Avery-8160-Generic Ammo Box Label.pdf
    14.2 KB · Views: 80
  • LRH.2021.08.27.Reloading Data Sheet.pdf
    120 KB · Views: 95
  • LRH.Generic.Reloading.pdf
    10.6 KB · Views: 85
  • LRH-2021.09.28.Ladder.Test.pdf
    121.6 KB · Views: 79
  • Redding-ammo_reloading_guide.pdf
    3.8 MB · Views: 137
Just how I do it.

1. If brass is fired tumble/clean
2. Full resize
3. Trim necks
4. Debur necks
5. Clean primer pocket
6. Seat primers
7. Fill brass with charge
8. Seat projectile

Don't over think it, just make it all the same, you'll be aight. I make quality ammo that shoots 1/2 moa or better. I load to hunt, 1/2 moa is my standard. You want to get into bumping shoulders, annealing, measuring circumferences, there are better guys on this forum to explain that.

Megastink: I attached a generic example step by step for a friend of mine that was not so much new to reloading but just didn't load often enough to keep on course. I am sure you can add lots of steps such as annealing but my friend wanted no part of that so not included. Strongly recommend you compare to a really good reloading manual to add or subtract as needed. Some of these steps ARE NOT mandatory nor may not be necessary for reloading. This is also very basic and I suggest printing it out and add and subtract comments that you will receive in this thread. Also links to resources to build your own step by step process. You cannot have good consistent ammo without written steps that you develop and follow precisely each time. You will modify as you go along with knowledge gained and lessons learned on what worked for you and what did not. I recommend having a 3 ring binder for each cartridge/rifle so you can accurately track your loads, performance and even round count for each rifle.

LINKS:
RCBS Reloading Steps: RCBS - good visual step by step to add to your process
Redding Reloading Guide: Redding - good visual step by step
Alliant Reloaders Guide: Alliant Powder Reloaders Guide
Hodgdon Powder Reloading for Beginners: Hodgdon Powder

I attached the Redding Reloading Guide below.

Do NOT ASSUME this IS ALL you have to do but just a starting point for you to develop your own reloading process. These are just suggestions and use at your own risk.

Also some basic reloading datasheets. They are in PDF but if want in Word, send me PM with email and I will forward to you so you can modify to whatever floats your boat.

Lots of really good folks here that can chime in with excellent suggestions as well. Hope this helps you begin development of your own process.
Excellent work Muddyboots!

One additional word of CAUTION: Internet data is NOT pressure tested in all likelihood and you do not have any idea if it is safe or not. Buy several loading manuals, read their recommendations and stay in your lane.

Powders are not the same when comparing IMR4350 versus H4350. Use correct load data.

Recent Posts