New project Remington 700

Stock the rifle first! If your rings are too low you will bury your cheek deeper into the stock to be able to see through the scope. The 'fit' of the rifle has just as much to do with accuracy potential as the components do. Rings and bases last!

+1

Just because it is a lightweight rifle doesn't mean it has to have cheep rings and bases. the difference in the weight of steel and aluminum is a few ounces, get a good Picatinny base and the rings for the height you need with the stock. The nice thing about the Picatinny rail, it can fit to any scope length.

J E CUSTOM

Sorry for my ignorance here, would the picatinny rail go over the extraction port (not sure of the proper term)?

The issue with the long action is that the rings Won't reach to where they will fit on the scope because of the distance.

Sorry for my ignorance here, would the picatinny rail go over the extraction port (not sure of the proper term)?

The issue with the long action is that the rings Won't reach to where they will fit on the scope because of the distance.

Should be OK for a hunting rifle. For the "half tactical" though, it can make top loading the magazine a challenge. There are several ways to approach this problem.

Does having the ADL model without the magazine effect that?
If that's the only way I can load I don't know that I want it to be a pain

Being ADL it still has a magazine box. The BDL is a hinged floorplate that makes it more convenient to unload your loaded rounds.

It does go over the ejection port, but not enough to prevent loading, also the Picatinny base spans the action and extends past the receiver and is infinitely adjustable to any scope length.

The other option is a set of offset rings like these.
Extension | SWFA

A Picatinny base will look like this. You can see how long it is.
http://swfa.com/Badger-Ordnance-Maximized-Lugged-Scope-1-Piece-Rail-P1617.aspx

There are plenty of brands of both to chose from.

J E CUSTOM

A pic rail will not get in the way of loading your rifle. Also, being an ADL it can easily be converted to a BDL which has a hinged floor plate to unload the magazine. All you need is a BDL stock and a BDL magazine setup, which can be purchased from Brownells for around $150.

Personally, I don't like ADL's, I prefer the hinged floorplate of the BDL, so I have converted several. It's just a matter of loosening and tightening few bolts, a couple new parts, and a few minutes of your time.

This stock looks like a standard old Remington 700 plastic stock, but it is made of MUCH better materials, and it has a full aluminum bed block in it (factory stock does not) for accuracy and consistency.

Stock: REMINGTON 700 SHORT ACTION BDL MEDALIST STOCK | Brownells

BDL Conversion: 700 LONG ACTION ADL-TO-BDL KITS | Brownells

As for the picatinny rail, I use them on ALL of my rifles, except one, and that is because I just haven't bought one to convert it yet. I use EGW HD bases, and Seekins Precision and TPS TSR rings (both brands of rings are high-quality, but I prefer the Seekins).

EGW HD Picatinny Rail 1 Piece Scope Mount | SWFA

TPS Tactical Scope 30mm Rings | SWFA

If you want something other than pic rail... I HIGHLY recommend the DNZ Game Reaper 1-piece rings/base. That's why I have one my 1 rifle that doesn't have a rail on it. It is one solid mount. I trust it enough to keep my $1,500 Kahles scope secure.

http://swfa.com/DNZ-Game-Reaper-30mm-Scopemount-P56385.aspx

Guys this is all great stuff and I am learning so much.

The game reaper mount looks perfect...I would need 1" not 30 mm right?

Bell and Carlson looks good and is less money. I would really like to get a more compact length of pull. Is that possible with them. Was thinking closer to. 12.5" as I thought a friends browning micro Midas fit well.

Never imagined I could change it to a bdl...I much prefer the safety/ease of that unless it adds a lot of weight.

Guys this is all great stuff and I am learning so much.

The game reaper mount looks perfect...I would need 1" not 30 mm right?

Bell and Carlson looks good and is less money. I would really like to get a more compact length of pull. Is that possible with them. Was thinking closer to. 12.5" as I thought a friends browning micro Midas fit well.

Never imagined I could change it to a bdl...I much prefer the safety/ease of that unless it adds a lot of weight.

What kind of scope do you have? Scope tube diameter determines the ring diameter. Most folks these days use scopes with 30mm tubes (or larger) for LR shooting/hunting, since the 30mm+ size tubes gathers more light and have a larger erector that allows for more reticle adjustment and travel for shooting farther distances.

As for your stock length, you can most-likely have a gunsmith trim that stock down to 12.5" LOP if that is what you prefer. I don't trim down any of mine, I have always used standard LOP stocks. I can't guarantee those can, you might want to call B&C and find out first. If not, they might could make you one.

Going from ADL to BDL the only difference is the aluminum floorplate/trigger guard piece that allows the magazine follower and spring to drop out of the way (they both use the same follower and spring, and a similar mag box), so that lightweight trigger guard piece might add an ounce or 2 of weight tops.

I have a Leupold vx2 4x12 CDs in 40mm.
I think it's 1"

DNZ Game Reaper 1" Scopemount | SWFA

Also, get yourself a proper inch-pound torque wrench for installing things like scope bases, rings, action screws, etc... And whatever you do, always torque to proper torque specs. And if you can't find them, email the manufacturers. Each product will have different torque specs, because of different screw diameters, thread pitches, build materials (steel or aluminum), etc... So, always follow proper torque specs.

I use one of these...

Wheeler Engeneering "FAT" Wrench with 10 Bit Set | SWFA

The game reaper has been ordered and the torque wrench came home free via Cabelas points.

Any thoughts on relplacing the trigger?
It had one accidental fire according to the previous owner.

5k k32
And 69906 are stamped on the barrel.

The game reaper has been ordered and the torque wrench came home free via Cabelas points.

Any thoughts on relplacing the trigger?
It had one accidental fire according to the previous owner.

5k k32
And 69906 are stamped on the barrel.

You just need someone to adjust it that truly knows what the hell they're doing. All of mine are old Rem/Walker triggers, and they break like glass. The new X-mark triggers are junk, throw them in the trash or give it away. All of mine pass the drop-test and I tune them myself. I won't use an unsafe trigger. Those triggers only got a bad name because of that stupid anti-gun episode of 20/20 where they tried to make Mike Walker and Remington look like the bad guys, when the root-cause of the problem was backyard-gunsmithing, poor gun handling skills, and pure negligence on the owner's part. People who don't know what they're doing just twisting screws around until it starts working sort-of correct. And that's how people get hurt. There is an order, and each of the 3 screws has a purpose. And you have to know what each one does, and how they are supposed to be adjusted and at what level they are safe. Adjust one of them too far and you got a potential danger.

If you want to replace the trigger to help regain some confidence in them, which is entirely up to you since it's your gun, Timney and Jewell are the top 2 options. I like both, but for the money, I really prefer the Timneys.

ADLs have magazines, BDLs do not have magazines.
I have VX2 with 2 piece bases on my BDL, 30-06, fits fine no problem at all loading from top.

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.