New project Remington 700

Msax80

Hey guys, first of all thanks for the input and help in advance.

Bought a Remington 700 270 Winchester off my father in law today.
Looking to turn this gun into a mountain rifle with a compact stock.
Goal is to be able to take elk/black bear out to 600 yards.

Definitely not tied to the walnut stock.

One issue I have already is that the Leupold vx2 4x12 CDS won't fit in the rings. Any easy solution here without having to ditch the scope for another one?

I noticed it doesn't have a magazine. Is this an issue with the manners or McMillan stocks?

Would like to keep the barrel if I could.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    88.9 KB · Views: 173
Well, all this depends on what kind of money you're looking to spend on this project. To start off, take a look at getting a pair of Talley one-piece base/ring that have an offset in them to reach a scope over a long action.
http://ads.midwayusa.com/product/35...ngs-extended-front-remington-700-matte-medium

Manners or McMillan stocks can come in the ADL configuration like you have. Or you can get it cut out for a BDL sort of magazine. Or you could get it cut to accept a detachable mag.

I would suggest getting the scope mounted and see how it does as is. It looks like an old Rem 700. I have one that was made in 1965 as a 7mm Mag. A couple years ago I had it transformed into a 300 Win Mag.

Ya', you've got some kind of problem with the scope mounting system. A set of Warne steel bases (with extended front base) coupled with a set pf PRW rings would fix that. It'd be an exceptional 'factory' barrel that'll be a reliable 600yd shooter. Wood stocks, especially those that are factory offerings, don't make the best LR platform, that doesn't mean they can't be made to do the job, though. Make sure the wood is sealed everywhere. Under the grip cap, if it has one, under the butt plate/recoil pad. Polyurathane is a good sealer for these areas. make sure the inletting is well sealed, too. Use it liberally and make sure you have all areas coated. Plan on pillar bedding. I believe I'd ditch the factory barrel for a custom one before I'd get the Manners/McMillan stock. You'll spend about the same on either one, but the barrel will do you more 'good'. At least have the receiver "squared-up" when/if you have the barrel replaced. If your intent is accurate LR shooting/hunting you'll need a good crisp trigger, too. Reliable, accurate LR rifles are not a cheap proposition, any way you look at it.

I don't mind spending the money over time to get it done right.
Do the warnes offer an advantage over the talley?

What recommendations on the barrel? Any gunsmiths in central PA that you would recommend or is it best to send it somewhere?

I don't mind spending the money over time to get it done right.
Do the warnes offer an advantage over the talley?

What recommendations on the barrel? Any gunsmiths in central PA that you would recommend or is it best to send it somewhere?[/QUOTE]

He's in the northern part but you can't go wrong with
Montour County Rifles , he's site sponsor and has many happy customers here.

Cheers!

Talley lightweight 1" in low will work for that setup. I'd order a McMillan classic or Hunter in edge fill. Saving weight you can keep it an ADL. Scrub the barrel clean and see how it shoots. Also have the trigger tuned. I can help you with that!

Talley lightweight 1" in low will work for that setup. I'd order a McMillan classic or Hunter in edge fill. Saving weight you can keep it an ADL. Scrub the barrel clean and see how it shoots. Also have the trigger tuned. I can help you with that!

Is that a one piece or two piece set of rings?

The OP stated light weight mountain rifle thus the 1pc Talley lightweights. They even make and extended front also. You can just turn the regular 1pc mount the opposite direction to gain some more mounting distance also. Ring height will be close with lows but should work with most stocks. I guess it does depend on what model he ends up with. When in doubt he could go with mediums.

For the stock I am leaning towards the McMillan ultralight hunter edge.

The scope is the Leupold vx2 CDs.
Caliber is 270 Winchester.

Anyone have a link to these rings? I don't want to order the wrong one.

Thanks again guys!

Stock the rifle first! If your rings are too low you will bury your cheek deeper into the stock to be able to see through the scope. The 'fit' of the rifle has just as much to do with accuracy potential as the components do. Rings and bases last! If I was given Talley one piece rings/bases, they'd be for sale!

Shortgrass- Just curious what don't you like about Talley? I always lap mine and bed them to the action to begin with.

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.