Winter Project 700 BDL 30-06

merbeau

Hi

During the winter I tend to work on a project to keep busy and end up (hopefully) with something better than I started with.

My project is an older Remington 700 BDL in 30-06 caliber that has been used and the barrel has some rust spots and the crown is nicked up. Gun smith indicates a charge $50 for crown job and $150 to 200 for rebluing.

I was at a recent gun show and purchased a used Remington 700 barrel in 30-06 caliber that was in great shape - the bluing shows little aging, the crown is not nicked, the rifling is bright and shinny with no pitting and the iron sights are complete (even has the front hood). Paid $60.

Obviously, removing the original barrel and replacing it with the new (used) barrel will require head spacing the bolt to the new (used) barrel which is about $150 - I may get lucky and it not require any head spacing, however, I am not planning on a miracle to occur. The bad part is the new (used) barrel my not shoot worth a darn.

Anyone had any experience with replacing OEM barrels?

Robert

merbeau,

Under normal circumstances I replace the original barrel with a higher quality custom barrel. Yes, it's more money and slightly more time but I am confident that you as a client is getting the best available product installed.

As you state, it is possible that the second factory barrel will not shoot up to your expectations. On the other hand, it might be just fine.

Remove the original barrel and clean the donor action thoroughly. The threads will need attention for sure. Clean the threads on the second barrel then check the headspace on the numbers derived from the action, bolt and recoil lug. Adjust headspace as necessary to also include the timing of the sights and roll marks for proper alignment. Be aware that most if not all gunsmiths will recommend 'blueprinting' the action. Here the problem will be the threads since some gunsmiths use the +10 (thousandths) oversize thread tap which negates using the second factory barrel.

Replacing an original barrel with another factory barrel is usually a wash for accuracy and no guarantee but it will cost you money anyway. Why invest in a lateral move when you can have a new custom barrel with an accuracy guarantee? This will also allow for having the action blueprinted and the custom barrel threaded for the re-cut threads in the action. Yes it will cost more money but you will have an outstanding semi-custom rifle.

Regards.

Sable Tireur

You make some good points. This is an original purchased rifle from the factory so I assume unless the factory 'smith' used a oversize tap the barrels should swap. Since the OEM barrel only cost me $60 and if I do not use it but rather purchase a 'better barrel' it is not to terrible a loss. The best I have been able to shoot with handloads is about 0.75 inches at 100 yards.

Will look into alternative barrels that can be installed into my receiver. You are correct, could end up spending a fair amount of money and not have any improvement or worse.

Thanks

Robert

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.