Remington 700 30-06 rebuild

elkslayerjc

What calibers are available to build from a 30-06 bolt face? I am looking to build a 1000 yard deer rifle. Any suggestions would be great. Thanks

So many choices 6.5-06ai, 6.5-284, 260ai, 6.5x55 standard or Ackley, 280 Ackley, 284 or you can get the bolt face opened up for the magnum cartridge's. I would look at what kind of recoil and barrel life is acceptable to you and base your decision on that.

There are lots of options for a standard bolt face. You can open the bolt face and add a SAKO extractor and do magnum calibers as well. I am building a 6.5x284 right now and the barrel is the cheapest part! Brass is pretty high dollar, the dies are not standard and you will be lucky to find them for less than $75 for a full length set, and a competition seater die itself is $100.

We had to do a lot of looking to get the brass, apparently, it is only made in one run, once a year.

I bet this turns out to be a one-hole kind of rifle though, the fitting is going very well.

Thanks for the feedback. I have chosen to build an 280AI with a 28" Hart #4 contour and fluted. Manners stock topped off with a NF scope.....gun)

Ya' think 28" will be long enough?

I haven't been hanging in the Gunsmithing part of the forum long enough to know if you are being facetious or not?

I'm currently planning a couple builds based on the 30-06 like the original poster. I've always heard a 30-06 sized brass only needs 24 inch barrel to burn all of the powder. And the AI might add a bit more I guess.

I've heard a lot of guys say to use the fattest but shortest barrel you can that will still burn all of the powder. So the barrel will stay ridged and not whip tail. (But that also goes against all of these 6.5 Creedmoors I see with 30 inch barrels.) :)

Cut a stick 28" long and tape/rubber band it to an existing rifle like it would be the barrel. You said this is a hunting rifle. Now that you know what it feels like to carry around a rifle with a 28" barrel, do you really want to carry one hunting. 26" should be pleanty for the .280 Ackley. Those looong barrels are only a plus in very limited circumstances. Handling qualities are a major factor in how well you can reliably connect with any rifle. Long barrels have their place on LR bench rifles and hunting rifles that'll only be carried to a stand but to actually carry in the field? And, to beat all, you're having it fluted, so after it's fit there's no cutting it back!

I wasn't the original poster, but I will soon be buying a barrel for the same scenario as him. I wasn't sure if you were joking when you asked if 28 inches will be long enough for the 280AI? I see now that you were. (Thought maybe you knew something I didn't).

You and I are on the same page. I agree with what you've said.

I'm sure the OP will still enjoy his new barrel very much. Thanks.

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.