1917 Eddystone Rebuild?

I inherited a sporterized 1917 Edsystone that doesn't shoot worth a darn. Is the action worth issuing for a rebuild? Pros and cons?
I have a 264 Mag. built on a P14 ERA action. It is robust, solid and heavy, shoot lights out to 400 yards. I also have a 03A3 Springfield that was sporterized and will sling 180's out of the tube all day long. I think they are great actions and would make a great custom build.

Of the 3 versions of Enfield actions, Remington, Winchester, and the Eddystone, the Eddystone was known to be the weakest and less desirable to build from.
First off in original issue state they cocked when closing the bolt which needs changing.
My father had an Eddystone modified at Sedgley in Philly in the late 40s, chambered in 06.
Never had any issues with it, but it isnt advisable to use them for the larger cartridges as they were known to have lug set back issues. On the other hand quite a few of the Rem and Win actions have been used for the larger cartridges.

Nostalgia cannot supplant reality. I own 5 high end 1930s sporting 03s. Beautiful rifles and work fine BUT to duplicate one today would cost more than a high grade Cooper, Custom shop 700 or high end Weatherby and be nowhere near as good a rifle.

To fix a P14/17 you must:
-mill off the ears
-level ot floorplate
-change to COO
-put on a new bolt handle
-open up the bolt face

Now you have a huge heavy action with 100 year old metalurgy with no resale value.

If you want a P14/17 high grade sporter, plenty show up at high end gunshops and the big auction houses, like this.

To duplicate it today would cost twice the asking price and would not have a Shellhammer stock.

Nostalgia cannot supplant reality. I own 5 high end 1930s sporting 03s. Beautiful rifles and work fine BUT to duplicate one today would cost more than a high grade Cooper, Custom shop 700 or high end Weatherby and be nowhere near as good a rifle.

To fix a P14/17 you must:
-mill off the ears
-level ot floorplate
-change to COO
-put on a new bolt handle
-open up the bolt face

Now you have a huge heavy action with 100 year old metalurgy with no resale value.

If you want a P14/17 high grade sporter, plenty show up at high end gunshops and the big auction houses, like this.

To duplicate it today would cost twice the asking price and would not have a Shellhammer stock.
Yes, you may mill off the ears or leave them for the adjustable sights
The floor plate may be left as is or change out, either you wind up with a 5 round or 6 round weapon
Not necessary to change to cock on open, when you lift the bolt handle the bolt slides back nicely
The dogleg bolt looks great, no need to replace and fit the stock beautifully
Why open the bolt face? P14 will fit magnum cartridges and the P17 will fit standard cartridges.
If you recall from Shotgun News, many where converted 7 mm Mag. and sold for about $300.00 many years back.

I have a 264 Mag. built on a P14 ERA action. It is robust, solid and heavy, shoot lights out to 400 yards. I also have a 03A3 Springfield that was sporterized and will sling 180's out of the tube all day long. I think they are great actions and would make a great custom build.
I have an 1903 03A3 I got from my grandfather long ago. It had the stock sporterized and peep sights installed . The barrel is basically shot out. Rifling worn a lot. The action is solid . Would be fun to install a new barrel. Nothing expensive . Just to see how good it could shoot . I too used to shoot 180's out of it. WW Power points and Rem Corelokts when I was a kid. Even with peep sights I could keep a 6 in. group with worn out barrel at 100 yds. Lol !

"A boat is a hole in the water to pour money into."

An old military action is hole in your gunsafe to pour money into.

May we hope the man who started the thread will talk to a good gunsmith before undertaking this project ?

He can buy a good used 700 for what the action metal work ALONE would cost.

I have sporterized seven or eight of them. I still have one on a Fajen stock with a Timney trigger in .300 Win. It's a shooter. They are a strong action if a heavy one but the extra weight doesn't matter much if you are using a big caliber. I used one in .300 Weatherby for years and it weighed out at nine pounds with scope. Before Weatherby made their own action the Enfield was one of the rifles they chambered their cartridges in. The old Remington model 30 is an Enfield action, and companies like BSA put out sporterized rifles using that action as well. A lot of metal can be removed from the rear of the action and triggers are easy to swap out because the safeties are independent - and strong. If you can do a lot of the work yourself it can be worth the effort but if you are paying a smith it's a whole different story. I would only do another if it was in a big bore caliber like .375 H&H or .416 Rem. They are a long action and can accommodate just about any caliber if you lengthen the mag.

The 1917 is a great rifle to sporterize. Trouble is that they are quite early examples of manufacturing. They require lots of skilled hand fitting. Modern gunsmiths often don't do this. There were lots of stocks, action parts, etc available, but there are less now. I think if you really want to rework the action into a trued custom action, you will spend $1200 plus. You can buy a custom Rem700 pattern action for that.

Also stock choice will be limited as they had a drop belly floor plate

So, if you are looking for an LRH rifle, other choices are better. It you are looking to drop $6000-$25000 into a full custom classic wood stock hunting rifle, this would make a great action. I think it is David Gentry that has a real nice one on his site.