6.5 Gibbs rebuild

Ok I understand now. I had to eat some crow last week because I did not remember something correctly so I relate. As far as the RCBS 6.54 Gibbs die are you using an RCBS shellholder while sizing? If not that can cause the issue.

Ok I understand now. I had to eat some crow last week because I did not remember something correctly so I relate. As far as the RCBS 6.54 Gibbs die are you using an RCBS shellholder while sizing? If not that can cause the issue.
Yeah, I'm wondering.... I prefer Redding dies. The general tool work is excellent in terms of detail as compared to RCBS. In order to save costs in manufacturing, often the cosmetics take a second seat, where precision is of course priority.
The friend that owned this rifle, fire-formed 270 casings. He resized his casings in the RCBS die.

Okay if your friend resized 270 win cases using that RCBS die he probably used a RCBS Shell holder. I think while you are resizing your Qual-Cart brass you might be using a Redding shell holder rather than a RCBS shell holder.

I hope that didn't come across as condescending Sir. I'm not always the most articulate person.

Have you tried 270 or 30-06 cases in your die? The qual-cart brass may be the problem ? ? Quality cartridge is nice because of the headstamp but "quality" for fit might not be there.
The 270 brass neck down may require two lube steps because of the "steeper" shoulder angle. Necking down for Ackley style cases can be tricky in the Ackley(gibbs) style die, but it should work providing the cases are not too soft.
Partial necking down in a 6.5-06 die may be a good first step to eliminate crushing.
My .02 with several Ackley' s of pain.

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.