New project!! .30 LR Rifle

you're right, forget my comment in regards of powder column.
Yes, I want a target rifle that is capable of shoots the 220gn at more than 3000ps. Does the wsm achieve it?
Dependant on barrel length but very likely not. I was under the impression those were optional. If they are not then I would do PRC.

nothing wrong with wanting what you want but Why do you want 3k?

you're right, forget my comment in regards of powder column.
Yes, I want a target rifle that is capable of shoots the 220gn at more than 3000ps. Does the wsm achieve it?

Been shooting (and winning) 1000 yard matches with the 300 WSM for years. Short answer...no..the 300 WSM will NOT push a 220+ grain bullet to 3000. LOVE it to death for accuracy, but it just doesn't have the HP. If jo blow says HE does it, it is because it is WAY HOT and not safe.

If you're serious about 220s at 3000fps being required, I'd look at the 300 RUM properly configured. I don't get the comments on single feeding. If I can make a 4" Wyatt's box feed a 338 Edge it should feed the 300RUM. Note this DOES require modification of the action by extending the mag feeding window backwards, and modifying the bolt stop to allow the bolt to come back further to pick up the back of the round. As I accomplished both of these modifications with a Dremel and ended up with a rifle that matches my custom F-Class competition gun for accuracy, I don't see why others couldn't do it.

What I don't get is the straight 1.25" barrel. Why the need? It doesn't increase your accuracy. My F-Class 284 has that barrel 32", my 338 Edge is Sendero contour 30" with a brake. They shoot the same accuracy. Unless you need a 25 shot string out of the rifle I see absolutely non need for the weight. My F-Class rifle is 22+ LBS and a PIA to move anywhere, my Edge is 14lbs and acceptable for hunting with a lot of walking.

**edited to add, I was quoting Velvet's last post**
Then it sounds like you want a wildcat that you can fireform for. The world is your oyster where a 30 cal wildcat is concerned.

Dependant on barrel length but very likely not. I was under the impression those were optional. If they are not then I would do PRC.

nothing wrong with wanting what you want but Why do you want 3k?
because it remains supersonic at 1400 yards. It gives me more chances to consistently hit above 1000y, a target of 20x20" or so.

**edited to add, I was quoting Velvet's last post**
Then it sounds like you want a wildcat that you can fireform for. The world is your oyster where a 30 cal wildcat is concerned.
Just because I have no problems, and that I enjoy it, does not mean that I am going to target my search or limit it to wildcats.
I am open to all options.

Been shooting (and winning) 1000 yard matches with the 300 WSM for years. Short answer...no..the 300 WSM will NOT push a 220+ grain bullet to 3000. LOVE it to death for accuracy, but it just doesn't have the HP. If jo blow says HE does it, it is because it is WAY HOT and not safe.
Agree. Discarded WSM.

you mean to enlarge the counterbore? and the possible problems that this entails?

I am going to have to back off on that statement......I was following a big discussion over at the Accurate Shooter website a while back. There were several smiths on there talking about extractors. Hell, they may have been talking about a Sako conversions. I can't remember.:( I can not find the thread, but I know that there were safety issues. I just can't tell you what they are and I have no first hand experiance with modified 700 bolts.

Sorry...carry on.:)

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.