New project!! .30 LR Rifle

Didn't read all the comments.

I'm a 300wsm fan boy. I have a single shot with a 30" hawk hill barrel that pushs a 208gr AMax to 2990fps with a book max charge of h4831sc (67gr) haven't experimented at all loaded book max it shot one hole with single digits SD/ES so I haven't messed with it. I don't even have a long throat on it. If you had it throated long and were running on a long action you might be surprised. Norma and Nosler brass isn't terrible but it isn't Lapua.

If I wasn't so heavily invested in WSM I'd most likely be shooting a 300 Norma Improved.

My vote would be for the 300 RUM with full disclosure. I have one and would be interested in seeing the end results. Of the mentioned cartridges, I believe components, and in my belief, if you should forget your handloads you are more likely to find 300 RUM factory loads than any of the others. That is taking into account that you said you are bored with the 300 WM.
Of course, just my two cents worth or maybe, my two sheets of TP.
Do you have at hand some 220gn Eldx bullets? I would like to know the final OAL, placing the start of the boat tail at the neck and shoulder joint.

I'd do a 300 RUM. Although, I'd consider a .300 PRC if I wanted more easily attainable factory ammo. You could also a Wyatt box in the RUM if you needed to seat long bullets out further. I have a .300 RUM and have no need for a PRC.
I have both under study.

I'm a practical man, as such I look for the simplest solution to every problem. All things considered the 300 RUM is the simplest choice. It has the highest case capacity, doesn't require changing the action or bolt, has good brass availability and doesn't require fire forming. When Hornady announced the 250 Atip my mind went straight to the 300 Rum. Of course you will want to have a custom throat to accommodate the big bullets and then single feeding them is the simplest solution there as well. Since you are making a bench rifle single feeding is preferred anyway. Most all bench rifles are single feed actions. The stock you have is not one I would pick for the task. I think it would work, but I'd rather have an A5 or one with a more substantial fore-end to support the weight of the giant barrel you are planning on using. As to the barrel, the simple solution is that more inches equals more velocity. I'd get a long varmint or heavy Palma taper instead of a straight 1.25. The reason I would not use such a heavy barrel is that the Remington action has a tiny barrel tenon. The big target actions have much longer tenons to support those huge barrels. If you go with the 1.25" barrel I would consider getting a barrel block and bedding that instead of the action.
I agree with everything you suggest. I would not like to be single feeding, I prefer to make the wyatt's box work. Regarding the barrel, I will choose a lighter one, perhaps Heavy Palma.
Regarding the stock, it is true that the Warden forend is narrow, but it is still rigid. I do not rule out changing it for an A5 or new lines.

Sounds like you're wanting to go all out and get best performance. I'd suggest RUM since you already have the correct bolt face. A couple of the other carriages mentioned require a larger bolt face and they will not outperform the RUM anyway. Barrel length is good, but I'd have the throat +P'd too. I run a 32" RUM and while it's not a typical +P throat, it is .500" which allows great speed. I've been able to run 230's to 3240fps. I'll soon be testing the 245 which i expect to be in the low to mid 3100's.

I know you'd have to get a new bolt, but the 300 Norma sure is impressive with the heavies.

brass is awesome - lapua

I'm pretty sure 3,100 fps with 230gr bergers is what guys are getting these days.

H1000, N570, etc on powders

*I have a 300 RUM, shooting 210gr vlds at 3,123 fps with an ES of 2 and have shot 3" groups at 1,000 yards with it. It's a hammer, even in a 7lb bare rifle it's not too much to handle.

My vote would be the Norma for a plinking rifle and barrel life, then the RUM for a dedicated hunting rig.
WOW!!! 3" ay 1k is much more than I expect. What OAL do you have with the 215gn ones?

You are the first to suggest the 300 NM. What attracts me to the Norma is that I do not have the Oal problems that I can have with the RUM, because the issue of not putting the bullet inside the powder column is resolved.

My COAL for the 210's is 3.750" - loading 91.5gr of Retumbo, 215m primer, Norma brass, 2 thou of neck tension, obviously shoots extremely well. I have a wyatts box, BDL setup and can have 2 down and 1 in the chamber with no feeding problems.

BUT I rarely shoot steel with it after I validated my drop chart, as I don't want to burn the barrel out or have to chase the lands when it's primarily a big game hunting rig.

I prefer shooting my 6.5 SAUM or 300 win for fun.

definitely just depends on how you're going to use it.

I'd do the Sherman. I'm looking at a 30 hunting rifle and will either do the 300 PRC or the Sherman Improved version. With that length barrel and the right powder should comfortably make your 3000fps with some wiggle room. Also an efficient design. The 300 PRC isn't going anywhere with the military picking it up and all the positive results.
Everything you say is true. It is part of the trio that I am analyzing: 300 Sherman, RUM and Norma Magnum.
If I could, I would put them together side by side, to try and choose ...;)
What makes Sherman attractive is that everything is available to assemble now: good brass, reamer with specs for long bullets, and dies. I don't like them so much as Hornady, I'd rather a Redding competition or a Whidden, but maybe they'll show up soon.
I have not seen yet what tools are available for the Norma Magnum (reamer with specs, dies etc)
For the RUM, I should see what reamers are available with the specs for the long bullets, I know there are good brass, and excellent dies. What makes me a little noise from the RUM is the OAL, but I have to investigate more about it.

I have both the Whidden dies and the Hornady dies for the 30 Sherman Magnum- so the Whidden Dies are available.... But, I will tell you that the Hornady dies are excellent!!

I have chambered several rifles in 30 Sherman Magnum. Very accurate, fast, efficient and easy to load for. It checks all of the boxes!
ADG brass headstamped 30 Sherman Magnum is available, Hornady competition bushing dies are available too. You can also shoot the 300 PRC factory ammo very accurately!! You can also shoot the 230 A- Tips, 245 EOL Bergers with a 9 twist barrel Easily and accurately. 95% of all of I have chambered have been on 26" Proof Research Sendero barrels.
I can't begin to tell you how great and versatile this chambering is.
It needs to be at the very top of your list for consideration.
If you have experience fireforming and working up brass for Ackley chambers or really any other Wildcat, it's a chip shot!!
300 SM is at the top of the list next to the rum and the norma, without hesitation.
Do you have on hand data of speeds obtained with those 26" Proof barrels and bullets of 220gn or more? I have one with 9.4 Twist that perfectly stabilizes those of 220gn, I should check if it stabilizes the longer ones.
I am also interested to know, if you have tried the H1000 with this cartridge.
Great information for me, Sir

9.4 should work.
H-1000 will work, I mostly use N-565 or N-570... Retumbo, RL-33, RL-26, IMR 8133 all work well with all of the info out there. Do a search on this site for 30 Sherman Magnum, or go to Sherman Wildcats on the web.
Most of the data I have has shown 3050- more than 3100 depending on powder choice with RL-33 and N-570 leading in velocities.
Always remember..... "Fast is fine, but accuracy is FINAL"!!!!

My COAL for the 210's is 3.750" - loading 91.5gr of Retumbo, 215m primer, Norma brass, 2 thou of neck tension, obviously shoots extremely well. I have a wyatts box, BDL setup and can have 2 down and 1 in the chamber with no feeding problems.

BUT I rarely shoot steel with it after I validated my drop chart, as I don't want to burn the barrel out or have to chase the lands when it's primarily a big game hunting rig.

I prefer shooting my 6.5 SAUM or 300 win for fun.

definitely just depends on how you're going to use it.
Well, thanks for the info.
The idea is to shoot a lot, so that takes some of the RUM's credit. At the beginning I mentioned that I did not care so much about the barrel life, thinking exclusively about the economic cost, but there is the other cost which is the fact of having to go back to re-barreling the rifle, and start with the load tests again.
Do you think the Rum would maintain precision beyond 1000 shots? Obviously, doing the homework accordingly

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.