New press opinions

Forster Co-Ax. It sits next to a Dillon XL-650 that I use for pistol and .223 (AR) if I'm going to load more than 50. If I ever get some time and space to add a second bench I'll put the Rockchucker on the new bench next to the Redding Ultra Mag. I hand prime with a Sinclair hand primer (catchy name :) ) so priming isn't a concern.

Why so many presses? Why not? The Ultra Mag is for making .338 Edge Brass. The Forster and Rockchucker will do it but the Ultra Mag makes it easy.

I'm all in with RCBS Rock Chucker, I've got 50 plus years with them, but I've started using RCBS Summit Press, and really like it now, no my Rock Chucker still gets used. Note: Summit forget the short handle, stay with the long handle. Cheers
I, too, have a 1972 Rock Chucker - still going strong.

There is nothing wrong with your choice of press. I, too, have a Lyman - older version (6 turrets); I guess that You indicated you are a new reloader, believe me, this is not going to be your last. Most of us have multiple presses. Enjoy the learning process.
I agree. I don't have a Lyman but imo the set up of the press is more important than the press itself. Learning how to get the runout out of the die and press during set up is in general more important than the press. At least for the hunting/ factory precision rifles I've reloaded for.

I use two RCBS presses. For Resizing and De Priming , I Like the big green cast iron Rock Crusher or whatever it was called from the late 70's, and about 12 years ago I started using the RCBS Summit Press for bullet seating. I like that press with the Forester Micrometer Bullet Seating Die for that portion of the loading process.

Attachments

• IMG_3214.jpg
    IMG_3214.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 54
  • IMG_3212 SUMMIT  PRESS.jpg
    IMG_3212 SUMMIT PRESS.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 43
The press is the most reasonable priced tool in reloading IMO. The only exception would be the Area 419. A set of dies cost me more than my Rock Chucker. I like the idea of good turret press with extra turrets for quick set up, but there is nothing wrong with the RC. So many other things to try first….

Rock Chucker, pre-Forrester Co-Ax, Mec and one of the little Lee APC presses. The Rock Chucker does it all until one gets to really long cases. Had a Lyman to load 416 Rigby for a friend but when he wanted to start reloading I sold him the press. The MEC is amazing and a joy to use. The Lee is used mainly for .223 and sizing cast bullets and does a fine job. If you have the opportunity try each you are considering. Co-Ax or MEC will spoil you for anything else.

Rockchucker for me but I don't like depriming with universal deprimer, those things bounce all over the place. Strange thing is it doesn't happen with standard depriming with the sizing die, primers just fall into the black cup that slides onto front of press. Mine is an RC2 so doesn't have spent primer containment.

That F1 is interesting with the linear bearing but I wonder if that's really better, as noisy as it is and the bearing surface length seems less than the RC.

That 4 die Lee one would be convenient for pistol.