New press opinions

Slop is a Precision Killer..

"If" the press offers the "jam rod" which eliminates "head flex"…..it should be as accurate as your typical single stage press.

Back in the late '70's early '80's I was making sub 1", 5 shot groups from a Model 88 Winchester…….not your everyday match rifle. And this was with the Lyman Turret Press of the day, which did have a bit of flex/slop.

I'm presently getting consistent sub 1" groups from my 9 pound .375 AI, which certainly is not a bench rest gun! And this is with the Lyman Turret Press that has the "jam rod" (my term)!

I guess that it depends upon what extremes you want to go to! If I were competing in the F Class….I'd likely use a different press!

However, for a typical weight hunting rifle, to be used for ranges under let's say 700 yards….a good turret should be more than adequate ! IMO. memtb

Almost looks like I can see some flex ???? Is their none? Does the back knob preload the turret?
The flex I saw was the way he had the press mounted. I seen no flex in the press. That piece on the back of the press under the turret could possibly have a very small amount. Once the turret touches it I don't see how it could flex past that point. The back nob ios to turn the turret. You don't really need it. You can remove it & put it in different location.

A turrent press will always flex...to what degree, might be the question. It must have clearence to index form position to position...hence it will always flex. If it indexes it has flex, the more clearance the more pressure applied equals more flex...How important is that to you? I had one for probably more than 10 years, gave it away, plus extra turrents, never plan to own another...went to progressives, they are much faster but flex too. Plus single stage on lower volume cartridges, the Forester Co-Ax, my favorite, & RCBS, etc, I have no use for a slow manual turrent press, these days, with a lot of high volume shooting...and I certainly wouldn't pay $1200 for one...but you might. Variety on the market, is a good thing.

The only thing I can offer is what you probably already know, "Look for a press that will handle the length of the 8 mm round." Other than that, there are not a lot of differences in what the different presses are capable of. Some of the presses that have aluminum frames and other parts that are thin castings that can and will break. The manufacturer will usually replace the parts that break for free, but you will be down for a few days before the parts get to you.

Keep in mind that what one company calls slop in a competitors press will call float in their own. Good concentric ammo lies much more in the dies and procedure you use than the press. JMO
Not only the dies being concentric, & more important than the press ...but rifle chambers have runout, to what degree is the point ...so even concentric ammo in non aligned chamber and bore, are also present. Your press will make little difference. Plus tests have been conducted ammo with .002" TIR shot just as well or better as the ammo close to .000" TIR.
Just look at my arbor press, the ram is not aligned, as I slide the Wilson die under the press, it's not even close to perfect alignment as I hand position it under the ram, it could be 3/8" off center, and still produce excellent ammo, with little runout. The dies, and rifle bore to chamber alignment, are way more important than the mechanical press used.

Slop is a Precision Killer..
Tell that to the current PRS champion Austin Buschman. He loads on a Lee turret press.
I'm not saying "slop" is completely irrelevant so please don't twist my words. Ultimately any condition that doesn't show up in your loaded rounds isn't important. The same can be said for a list of loading practices.