New press opinions

I am in the market for a new press and looking for suggestions. I only load rifle and at the moment only 8mm RM and 222 Remington. Any input is welcome :)
I started out on a Dillon 550C and its the most verstile p;ress out therew.You can load 168 different calibers on it Dillon says.Ive loaded Pistoland rifle..Target shooting in rifle and pistol.Ive loaded on it to shoot in King of 1 Mile and King of 2 Mile. m
I also have a Forster Co-Ax (one of my Favorite for simplicity and no Shell Holders) ,I also have a Hornady Lock N Load Single Stage, A LEE 50BMG and a RCBS Summit, and a PRAZI Press 140MM, and last but not leasstr tghe AMP Annealer AMP PRESS . Ive not bought the AMP Mate...YET...LOL Im not that Lazy
If your going to get serious about reloading and really shoot a lot get the DILLON 550C. Its simple and can load about anything you want.

Any opinions on the Frankford Arsenal F-1?
Ive had the Frankford and the Forster...I sold the Frankford and kept the Forster.. Its much much better. The Jaws are better. The Die Ring Block on Frankford is one reason I culled it.
laugh if ya want to...But I nwatched Erik Cortina video and he has the Forster..and late one night my dumb self got the names mixed up late one night and I ordered the Frankford by Mistake.. I have a lot of Frankforxd stuff.. LOL So I used it a few months until my Forster came in. So I used both and saw that the Forster was hands down better. Not even close.

Ive had the Frankford and the Forster...I sold the Frankford and kept the Forster.. Its much much better. The Jaws are better. The Die Ring Block on Frankford is one reason I culled it.
laugh if ya want to...But I nwatched Erik Cortina video and he has the Forster..and late one night my dumb self got the names mixed up late one night and I ordered the Frankford by Mistake.. I have a lot of Frankforxd stuff.. LOL So I used it a few months until my Forster came in. So I used both and saw that the Forster was hands down better. Not even close.
Been there and have the T-Shirt somewhere

+1 for the rcbs rebel press. Very solid and I've been able to load some very accurate 28 nosler hunting ammo with it, I also load 9mm and 223 with it. It's not fast for the latter 2 but it does them no problem and I find it to be very easy to bump shoulders on the 28. I got mine in a kit when I first got started and I believe the kit was in the neighborhood of $400 at bass pro. Still use most of the stuff from the kit aside from the scale. Here's the kit I got https://www.rcbs.com/rcbs-kits/rebel-master-reloading-kit/16-9251.html
I upgraded the scale and got a stand for the powder throw.

I've been happy with mine. I've lusted after a Forster for decades but the Rock Chucker has made a ton of accurate rounds for me. I had a Hornady single stage at one time also. I tell ya garage sales are great places to pick up reloading presses for cheap.

You can find old rock Chuckers, they look beat up. Feel the wiggle in the ram, if it is tight, you have an excellent tool! Keep the ram clean and lubed.

I had to chase the threads on one that I bought, could tell the threads were beat up, got a better deal on it. I bought a Tap that cleaned the threads up extremely well with little to no effort!

Folks will use a pair of pliars to pull bullets with, using a technique of putting the nose of the pliars down in the threads. This technique buggers the threads up, making dies difficult to screw in and out. A Good tap with cutting fluid makes those threads slick again.

Last edited:
I've got an older Forster Co-Ax my dad picked up at a yard sale and never used. He gave it to me when I graduated college. I love it, and I am surprised my dad gave me the Co-Ax rather than his Rock Chucker. It's produced some great ammo, and even after my wife dropped it out of a moviing truck. My only issue so far is my new 7 PRC dies don't fit in it. So I found a Rock Chucker on Facebook Market Place for $75. Setting it up tonight so I can hopefully start loading for the PRC. Never had an issue with dad's old Rock Chucker so I don't know why I will with this one. Solid and silky smooth.
I'm curious as to why the dies don't fit. My guess is the dies are too long and the yoke of the arm hits them. The newer Co-Ax doesn't have that problem. I replaced my old Co-Ax with the newer version when I started loading 7mm Rem Mag and .338 Edge. If I'm right, I need to let my son know the Co-Ax that I gave him could have the same issue if he ever needs to load a longer rifle cartridge than .223

I'm curious as to why the dies don't fit. My guess is the dies are too long and the yoke of the arm hits them. The newer Co-Ax doesn't have that problem. I replaced my old Co-Ax with the newer version when I started loading 7mm Rem Mag and .338 Edge. If I'm right, I need to let my son know the Co-Ax that I gave him could have the same issue if he ever needs to load a longer rifle cartridge than .223
You need the bigger plate for the base for those magnum face brass.I had to buy one.It will now do 338 LM.

I have a newer Co-Ax press I believe they lengthened the yoke some time back...check and see if an upgrade maybe possible.
Mine loads 3.720" 416 Rigby no problem with a room to spare..more room than my RCBS Rockchucker press which is around 10 ys old. Get the extra large mag shell holder for the big fat cartridges, like 460 , 45-90. 338 Lapua...you should be set. You can even use regular shell holders with an adapter plate...although I have one just incase, I never use it.

You need the bigger plate for the base for those magnum face brass.I had to buy one.It will now do 338 LM.
The old Co-Ax press has a shorter yoke than the new one and long, magnum dies wouldn't let the yoke pass. I upgraded to the newer press when it came out. I think the OP said he picked up his Co-Ax in a garage sale. I switched to the Quick Change Jaws at the first of the year. I got tired of springs and things flying off into the ether with the old style. I switch between 20 PPC and .338 Edge with stops in between (other calibers). The quick change jaws make it fast and easy. I also picked up a shell holder adapter plate but haven't done much more than play with it. The Co-Ax will handle anything I need it to.
  • S-Large – holds .468″ to .562″ rim
  • S-Small – holds .343″ to .422″ rim
  • LS-Large – holds .531″ to .625″ rim
  • LS-Small – holds .312″ to .375″ rim

The old Co-Ax press has a shorter yoke than the new one and long, magnum dies wouldn't let the yoke pass. I upgraded to the newer press when it came out. I think the OP said he picked up his Co-Ax in a garage sale. I switched to the Quick Change Jaws at the first of the year. I got tired of springs and things flying off into the ether with the old style. I switch between 20 PPC and .338 Edge with stops in between (other calibers). The quick change jaws make it fast and easy. I also picked up a shell holder adapter plate but haven't done much more than play with it. The Co-Ax will handle anything I need it to.
I have the quick change jaws. Myself.I didnt want to fool with all those springs either. I use the CkZx o n my 6mm ARC & 6GT and 6.5 Grendel and small cartridges. But I use my Prazi Press and my Amp Press on my 33XC and 375 Cheytac and 300 PRC and 300 RUM A. I.
Can you buy just the Red Yoke thats taller to clear the tall seating die with Micrometer. I tried to use my Co Ax on my 300 PRC the other day and it hit the die.

How do you like the Amp Press? I have the annealer and I really enjoy using it compared to using a Lee pot and Ballistic Recreations melting salt.

Forster sells a machined casting for less than 1/2 the price of the press that's back ordered right now.

028271-031Reloading Press – Frame Casting (machined)$129.78

I'm starting to wonder if I've got a reloading problem. I ran out of bullets for doing a fine powder test on my 7mm Rem Mag so rather than take it easy today I'm going to resize 100 rounds of .220 Russian and go fireform some .20 PPC brass instead. Wait! It's ok! That is taking it easy. I'm normal! Ok... close to normal...