New press opinions

The Co-Ax press will also take regular shell holders from Lee, RCBS , Redding, etc when a shell holder adapter plate is installed. Besides the 4 quick change shell holders that handle most everything...just in case, you have something really unusual...or do not, for some reason, like the quick open & close feature of the co-ax press.

How do you like the Amp Press? I have the annealer and I really enjoy using it compared to using a Lee pot and Ballistic Recreations melting salt.

Forster sells a machined casting for less than 1/2 the price of the press that's back ordered right now.

028271-031Reloading Press – Frame Casting (machined)$129.78

I'm starting to wonder if I've got a reloading problem. I ran out of bullets for doing a fine powder test on my 7mm Rem Mag so rather than take it easy today I'm going to resize 100 rounds of .220 Russian and go fireform some .20 PPC brass instead. Wait! It's ok! That is taking it easy. I'm normal! Ok... close to normal...
I like the AMP Press and Amp Annealer. I wanted to see if I could get my ES & SD any lower. And by separating them on the graff from seating pressure. Its worked pretty well. I shot in a ELR match , and They got even lower. .At 1993 yards my 4 shot group was 2.5 inches.

It was a 300 PRC, 250 grain Hornady A-Tips, Hodgdon H1000 @ 75.8 grains, Lapua Brass twice fired, CCI LRMP.
The conditions were Rough.We got there on Friday afternoon and it started raining at Sight In/Confirm Zero time and turned real cold,about 40 Degrees. The Next morning it was 32 Degrees and wind blowing around 20 and switching.The second day it was worse in the morning.It was 28 Degrees and windy.However about 10:30 it started warming up to about 42 to 45 and tghe wind was not as bad.It was about 16 degrees and blowing from 10:30 ,but still switching. I didnt have a real good 1st day but came back strong on day two.I finished 4th out of about 52 or 55 shooters if I remember correctly. That was in Light Gun class .I did not fair as well in Heavy.It was my match with my new 375 Cheytac in McRees Chassis. I was shooting MTAC instead of Lazer bullets and it didnt do well past 2k Yard

I have a first gen rockchucker and its solid. It was my Dads that he bought in the 60's and it still loads precision ammo without issue.
If you want a single stage press that will last several lifetimes, that's the one I'd go with.
I also have a lee turret and have had it several years (have different plates for 9mm, 45 and 223) and it is a good press.

k
I don't understand the complaints about slop in a turret press. The slop is built in and has to be there for it to work. As long as the slop is consistent it shouldn't be a problem. People reload some very accurate ammo on turret presses every day.

I agree with the "built-in" slack/slop!

I can't speak for all turret presses, but the newer (last 20 years or so) Lyman Turret Presses have a threaded rod on the press base that you adjust firmly against the rotating die head after rotating to the next die you will use. Once the rod is "jammed" against the head…..it eliminates the "head flex"! memtb

NOTE: Don't forget to "back-off" on the rod prior to attempting to rotate the die head! 😉

k

I can't speak for all turret presses, but the newer (last 20 years or so) Lyman Turret Presses have a threaded rod on the press base that you adjust firmly against the rotating die head after rotating to the next die you will use. Once the rod is "jammed" against the head…..it eliminates the "head flex"! memtb

NOTE: Don't forget to "back-off" on the rod prior to attempting to rotate the die head! 😉
You can do this with the Zero press by using a die as the "rod" thru the back left hole and bottoming on frame. Works! They won't tell you this but eliminates .004 flex. The "Willys" mod !

I really like my Rock Chucker Supreme. Just got a Redding T-7 but haven't used it yet. If I got another single stage, I would try out the Mec Marksman.

k

Yeah that slack or slop can allow for self centering of the case in the die. Which is why some have used an o-ring on their dies. Somewhat the concept of the Forester Co-Ax press. Floating die that allows it to self center. I haven't used the Lyman turret press, but can see how the rod would help keep the die concentric.

Rock Chucker for Re size and De Prime, and RCBS Summit press for bullet seating. I like the Forester Micro Bullet seating die. in the summit Press. This combo makes really excellent hunting loads, and pretty fair B/R loads, provided all the other cases prep are followed.

Attachments

• IMG_3212 SUMMIT  PRESS.jpg
    IMG_3212 SUMMIT PRESS.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 25
  • IMG_3214.jpg
    IMG_3214.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 27
k

The new Lyman All American turret press (8) doesn't have nor need the rod. But the priming system does have it's faults if you use it.