New powder for 7mm RM?

I worked up a new load for 160 gr. AccuBonds this weekend. The Berger weighs a little more and has a higher BC but I thought this was worth passing along. It may work for you too. Below is the group for that load. I know guys... it's only 3 shots. Good luck.

7 RM Browning A-Bolt
160 gr. Nosler AccuBond
Hodgdon H1000 70.0 gr
seated 0.030" off lands
0.32" center to center
100 yds - 3 shots

NABTarget002.jpg

Sure, glad to share my load:

Rem brass
9 1/2
66g of H4861
162g Hornady SP or SST
If you change brand of brass or primer, accuracy is gone!
Bullet seated to touch or jam .003
Bullets are opening up a single bullet hole in Pillar bedded 700 sporters, light triggers, muzzle breaks, and 6-24's or 8-32's for glass.

I have not tried the 162g AMax, but will soon.

Rem-You asked about the VV powders.
I have used VV N560 in my 300 win with awesome results.
I find it's a Very consistent and clean burning powder. I get good velocity as well as tight extreme spreads using this powder. Nice tight groups(3 shots less than the size of 1/2 dime) at 100yds with 180 gr bullets in my 300 win.
It is a little more expensive but definitely worth trying.

JEM- Whats the velocity like with that H1000 load??
Keith- Thanks for the load. I wrote it down for future references. I have a couple 162g sst's still laying around. Havne't got to do much more shooting, been blowing like crazy last couple days. Need to work on that 160g AB load. It did somethign real funny the other day. It shot a great group at 61g Rl-22, it was .275" for 3 shots. Didn't have the crono w/me that day. Went home loaded 3 more up to shoot a confirmation group and crono. Well the group was 1.5" /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/mad.gif and velocity is only 2870fps /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/mad.gif The high low deviation is 10 fps though /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/crazy.gif so I gotta be close to a good node to have close velocity like that. I'll keep trying. Also trying to get my 162g amax load finalized. I still have 1 lone flyer that gets me every time and opens up the .25" group to a .5" group. I'm still playing w/ seating depth on that one as well. The velocity on those loads are real close. Averagin only 6 fps difference. However, they to are shootin a slow 2840fps /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif When my RL-22 runs out, I think I'll buy a pound both of IMR-7828 and H-1000 since I cant make up my mind.

I didn't chrono that load yet so I'm not sure what the velocity is yet. That's still on my to do list. That was through a 26" barrel. I think I'm going to switch to that 160 AccuBond load instead of my 140 TSX load this fall. Still have a litte chronograph and distance work left to do with the AccuBond load. Haven't messed with seating depth yet but I think it's going to be tough to beat it as loaded above.

wow I have never had a problem with RL22 that is the only powder I use for my 7mm RM. my best load is 66.5grains of RL22 in winchester brass federal 215 primers with 150grain TSX's shoots great!

Picture024.jpg

Okay guys.

I have had a bit of luck first up in my new T3 7mm RM Camo shooting 160gn AB's

I used the Nosler data and found their accuracy load using RE19 spot on. 61.5gn under a cci magnum in Remington cases worked well.

The third test load grouped .392 from a light sporter barrel. Awesome accuracy from a new sporter seated to mag length. The 168's need more work close to the lands.

I use lots of RE 19 in my mates 300wsm's. I always thought it was to quick and used the data more out of curiosity. sSupposedly over 3000fps but I am yet to Chrony it!

I did try H1000 and Retumbo but its early days as I really need to feed the Bergers singular

69.5 of h-4831 and a 139 horn btsp. 3278fps. deadly. the 160 is too hard. the 168 is good use re-19,re-22 , or h-4831

Yep the 160 is a hardish bullet but works great on 2 to 300kg sambar stags.

I do use a lot of Hornady projectile in my other rifles and really like the SSt's out wide. The 130' SSt's in my buddies .270 Win T3 shoot under 1 inch at 200 yards. I just havent spent enough time with the 7mm Rm and 162n SSt's etc.
They drop medium game very quickly!
A 180gn SST from my 300wsm showed
a recovered weight of 90gn at 236 yards after smashing a lower leg and penetrating 2ft to the off side ribs of a mature sambar. Perfect performance I would say with plenty of trauma along its path.

168 Bergers are showing potentail but I need to single feed.

I am having a custom .338 Edge being built as we chat and it wont be that far away. Now thats going to be differnt!

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.