new or reuse

1logan1

I've been looking at geting into longrange shooting and I'm on a budget. I have a VXlll 4.5x14x40 with out target turets, should i send it to leupold or buy knew? What would be a good buy on a budget. Alos I'm looking at not shooting any further than 700ish.

If just long range shooting, rather than hunting, I would keep the scope and change the turrets. If long range hunting, I would go up to a 50 mm or more objective.

Thanks for the input Bruce, I did forget to mention that this would be a hunting/longrange mountain rifle.

At dawn/dusk a 40 mm objective will limit you to about 8X or less magnification, as opposed to about 10X for 50 mm. A 40 mm objective is not a deal breaker, but the extra 20% can make a difference in dim light.

...Just as everyone else has posted, if the rifle is going to be a double duty rifle I would opt for the 50mm objective lense for the added amount of light. I understand that you are on a budget so I won't even mention the 56mm scopes... (read more money) but if you do opt for a new scope you can sell your old scope and add money to what you get to purchase a new one.

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.