New Rifle Scope or New Spotting Scope

Coastie757

I am in the middle of a delima and need you alls opinions if you dont mind. I am in the Coast Guard and am currently stationed in Kodiak, AK. One of the problems I am running in to is the fact that I will be transferring in 1 year and dont know where to. Enter problem, I have no idea if I will be in a city, in a thick wooded area, or in some open country.

Now, let me tell you what my current hunting set up is. I currently have a Ruger M77 Hawkeye in .338 win mag topped with a Leupold VX-2 3-9x40. I have some money to play with and cant decide between getting a better scope or a spotting scope. The scope I have does not have a mil dot reticle, which I want, and I am looking to get a little bit better quality glass along with better low light glass. I need to choose between the Leupold Mark4 M1 6.5-20x50 scope or the Leupold Gold Ring HD 12-40x60 spotting scope.

That being said, I have been hunting black tail deer, and brown bear. In the fall I will be hunting mountain goat as well. Right now I feel confident on taking shots out to 200, and maybe would take a shot out to 300. The last 2 seasons I have seen, or thought I have seen bears, but I dont really know because I couldnt see them that far away with my binos, so that is why I think it would be good to have a spotting scope, but I also feel like I will have no need for it if I transfer to somewhere where this is no open country. I also want some better glass for my rifle, and of course I have to get the best, but I feel like the Mark 4 would be overkill.

If you guys could please help point me in the right direction I would appreciate it. Thank you

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.