New Nightforce 5.5-22x56 NXS on SAUM Need Ring Recommendations

LDHunter

I have just bought my first Nightforce scope and these dang things are HEAVY!!!

I've never felt the need for "tactical rings" and have been a loyal fan of the Burris Zee Signature Weaver Style rings for several years.

I'm thinking I now need to get some rings that can stand up to the fairly heavy recoil of my Model Seven AWR 7 pound 7mmSAUM 22" rifle and that heavy scope.

I only found one Picatinny style scope base that seems to be up to the task because almost NOBODY makes "tactical gear" for Model Sevens... LOL
EGW 1-Piece Picatinny-Style Base Remington 7 Matte

Does anyone have any ring recommendations for this heavy scope? I thought maybe I'd try the Zee Signatures but don't want to waste a bunch of powder, primers, and bullets, only to find that I'm wrecking the rings and experience accuracy problems related to the rings.

I don't imagine I'll find very many people that will know what height rings I'll need because Model Sevens don't often wear 56mm objective Nightforce Scopes but I thought I'd ask. The barrel taper is Remington's Model Seven Magnum taper if that helps. I'd hate to have to buy rings and send them back if they're too tall or short.

I DO have some "high" Zee Signatures I can try on it for fit when it comes to get an idea how high they need to be I guess.

Can anyone help? I'm a bit at a loss here with this big bell heavy scope and don't want to have to reinvent the wheel.

Thanks,
Bob

I can't help you on height but I'll pass on a ring recommendation that I got from the members here. TPS rings - I bought a pair for a 338LM and couldn't be happier with them. They are reasonably priced (relative to most of the high end tactical rings) and the quality and fit/finish are fantastic.

Shame on me, I didn't know Len carried them. I got mine from Brownells in medium. They have high in their catalog as well.

My choice would be a pair of badger ordnance rings. You should be able to get away with a .885" high rings with a 20 moa base and factory barrel taper. According to badger, .885 is their medium rings. My second choice would be nightforce. According to nightforce, .885 is their low rings.

Rings are almost to the point of bow tie vs Blue Oval debate :cool:

Anything from the "top tier" manufacturers should work just fine.

Ring i've used and/or would recommend (in no particular order):

Leupold MK4
TPS
Badger Ordnance
Seekins Precision
American Rifle Company
NightForce

My favorite at the moment is ARC (American Rifle Company).

Rifle Scope Rings

t

I almost forgot to mention (I'm ashamed of that). If you're looking to get a scope base that will equal or exceed the strength & quality of the rings recommended, I HIGHLY recommend Murphy Precision. Cam just happens to make bases for the Model 7 as well. Stainless steel? No problem. Titanium you say? Sure. If you don't see what you want, call him. Cam has built two custom bases for me in no time flat & for a more than reasonable Fee.

MurphyPrecision.com - Scope Bases, Rings, and Assorted Shooting Accessories.

t

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.