New Mexico

trueblue

Has anyone hunted New Mexico?
I am starting to do some research on possibly hunting in that state next year for elk.
I don't know a thing about the state. I am not asking for your honeynole, but could someone speed up my learning curve by steering me to a good area of the state , or hunting zone.

Unit 16B is primarily wilderness so it offers a great opportunity to tag a big bull. I will be hunting this unit at the end of Oct. Shots can range from 10 yards to as far as the eye can see. The only downside to this unit is if you tag one in the wilderness no motorized vehicle travel is allowed, so you gotta pack it out on foot or horseback. If you prefer bow hunting unit 15 is the way to go it offers the same class of elk. As far as where to go both units have enough elk that you can choose an area that looks good on the map and you will see elk.

bota, Over the winter we are going to try and get all those old videos on DVD so we can watch them again and preserve them for the future. I will try and upload that one when we get it on dvd.

trueblue, you can't pick a bad unit down there.

Trueblue, I've never hunted NM so don't have first hand experience but have read quite a bit about it. I subscribe to Huntinfool and they do a pretty good article on it ever year with some good info on the top hunts that everyone wants, and also cover other areas that don't get as much attention but are still good areas. If you want to look at a couple of these back issues, PM me and I can mail a couple for you to read through.

Just found that huntingfool site.
Plan on going bow hunting, and if unsucessful, going back with a rifle, unless you have to stipulate only one weapon. Then I would just do a rifle hunt.

You will have to choose between bow or rifle hunt unless they changed the regs since I hunted down there. There are some good rifle areas, just do your research. More elk in the north toward Colorado but smaller. Fewer elk in the middle and south but bigger.

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.