New Mexico

Tell us more about the hunt first.

Week of hunt? Weapon? Tent or camper? Backpacking off the trail, or coming back to base camp every evening?

We hunted in 15 last year, so I've seen the territory.
Good boots to walk, portable rain gear for popup rain showers, rifle set up to shoot long, and a GPS with all of the cattle watering tanks already in it will be needed. Of course, a range finder is a necessity.

I will be hunting at a ranch off of atv and foot. The rifle is a 300 rum with a vortex 6-24 mil mil scope Harris bipod6-9" currently working on load for it now range find is a sig kilo2000 boots a danner

I live north of 16d in New Mexico....you have a very good unit for Elk. The Gila forest area is prime Elk country. Don't know when your hunt is but in the Gila area September-November can go from summer-like to winter-like depending on weather patterns in any given year. Check out one of the online weather sites and look at the "Almanac" most of them have to see what the average weather for Reserve and Glenwood have been for your hunt month. Even better just ask the folks at the place you will be staying. Good luck!!!

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.