New mexico

I drew elk for the 1st time in 10 years this year in unit 53 (north of Taos) I sure hope I see one like I saw on my deer hunt last year. A 6x6 bull walked past me and hung out at 100 yards for almost an hour, never did see a legal deer in 4 days :(

I got unit 23. Need to go scout it as I had my hunt all planned out and then got thrown a curve ball. But at least I got on base. Getting the Hoyt dialed in so time to move to further distances. Here is what I did at the range today.

I drew the first season rifle elk hunt in Unit 23. Tell the other archers and muzzleloaders not to scare them all off! Hope you guys get some good rain to keep them on the New Mexico side and not the Arizona side!

No rain in sight and at this rate the forrest will close shortly. Wish it was sooner than later and before some moron tosses a cig or match out the window or doesn't put out a campfire. Course they are waiting until after the holiday which is usual.

There isn't anything here! Half the elk you see are small and the big ones are getting chased by hunters. When you bugle you're mainly calling in hunters. Drawing a tag is a challenge and getting a good size elk is an even bigger challenge.

I drew the first season rifle elk hunt in Unit 23. Tell the other archers and muzzleloaders not to scare them all off! Hope you guys get some good rain to keep them on the New Mexico side and not the Arizona side!

We won't scare them off just you can look for them in our freezer hopefully :rolleyes:. I will tie one to a tree for you and send gps coordinates for you :D. I saw they had a fire on the AZ side already about 400 acres. Time to scout before they close the forest.

Congrats to everyone who drew. I drew a unit 15 muzzy bull tag. Pretty excited to finally hunt new mexico!

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.