New Member-Opinions of Montana Precision Rifles or others?

Jack Hoyt

Hello Gang,

Need a little help. Looking for a great entry to mid level LR rifle. Was waiting to get a Legendary Arms Works but they just don't seem to exist.

I found Montana Precision Rifles (different than Montana Rifle Co.) and really like the MPR 700 package with a Vortex HS LR scope. Seem to be a great value for all you get and starts off with a stock Remington 700 Sendaro. They have only been in business since May 2015 and looking for feedback and opinions. Suggestions always welcome also. Thank you!
Was thinking 300 Win Mag for future West hunting of Mule Deer and Elk.

https://www.mtprecisionrifles.com/

For me, Long Range hunting is 400-750 yards max right now.

Welcome to the forum Jack. I'm new here myself. Lots more knowledgeable folks here that can answer your question.
Bob

I am seriously looking for a great beginner LR rifle. I found MPR when looking for Montana Rifle Co. After two long conversation with the owner all sees very legit but was hoping to come across someone who has dealt with with or knows more.

Opened up last May so not really any good info about them online. REM Sendaro, Jewel trigger, bed action, muzzle break, scope and mounts, drop data sheet, rifle break in, sight in and custom load development, and more for just over 3k.

Was wondering what the experts here thoight? Open to other options of referrals to other rifle makers? Thanks

That's about 2000.00 worth of gun, scope, rings, and trigger. I personally wouldn't spend another 1000.00 to have it bedded and have load development done. Many accuracy loads are fairly universal so it shouldn't be hard to get a decent load.

Here is another idea:

Remington SS 700 action with bottom metal 500.00
Custom barrel 350.00
Jewell trigger 225.00
Install barrel and true action 350-550ish depending on who does it.
HS stock 350.00
Skim bedding 125-200 once again depends on who does it.
Talley ring/base combo's 50.00
Vortex scope 550.00

Total 2500.00 to 2775.00 but with the potential to shoot considerably better and more consistent then a Sendero. Many Sendero's shoot quite well but most aren't up to a custom barrels performance level. You don't have the load work up done but that is how you learn about your particular rifle. Personally I'd do the above plus a brake and spend the rest on reloading stuff. Another up side is you can pick what barrel contour you want and overall weight. You can also change the stock, scope, etc. to meet your needs.

You make a good point, IdahoCTD.

I don't want to hijack Jack's thread, so sent you a PM with a side question.

Thanks.

Thanks a lot guys! Your input helped.

I think i have decided to have someone local build the rifle for me. He is within a hour away and is experienced with a legit business going.

He normally starts with a REM 700 long action receiver. I am going to talk to him more but any suggestions on other receivers to consider a little better even if a little more than a Remington?

His suggestion was a REM 700 LA, blueprinted, bedded, Rock Creek or Bartlein barrel 26" & 1:10 twist, Vise muzzle break, timney trigger at 2 lbs, McMillan Hunter Monte Carlo stock, Harris bipod?, padded sling and Leupold VX3i CDS scope

Jack,
Since you're considering going that directions I'll give you an idea I had that will probably only muddy the waters.

I am just getting into long range shooting too and one of the ideas I have to to buy a Remington Model 700 Long Range - $740 at some of the big name sporting goods stores. If I get a good one that will get me out to 700 yards or more, good for me. I got a great starter rifle.

If not, I have the 700 action and bottom metal and a B&C stock for $740.

Throw in the other numbers IdahoCTD mentioned to upgrade the trigger, truing the action and re-barreling, bedding, rings and scope and your in the same ballpark price wise with a real shooter.

If you could find someone who wants the old parts -- trigger, barrel, stock if you prefer HS, you might make a little money back. Might be the way to go.

I'd be interested in anyone's thoughts?

Thanks! Decision finalized and rifle on order. Going to post a new thread about my decision. Looking forward to it.

gun)

I have found them too. It seems here in Montana your can throw a rock and find a guy building rifles lately, a good gunsmith for other things is a different story. The cost is decent and from what I have heard the owner is a good guy, been doing it on the side and finally made a business out of it.. I think the rifle could be cheaper but he buys stock rifles and tweaks them. If he started with just an action it might lower the price, since he has a lot of left over parts to get rid of ie. barrels and triggers.

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.