Your Opinions and Reviews of Savage Rifles?

I have owned a dozen save rifles, from basic combo rifles, FCP-K, Varmint, Lightweight Hunters. Have not had an issue with a single one of them.

I currently have a 116 in 300RUM in a MDT chassis that shoots .6 at 200 yards with factory barrel.

I have 2 lightweight hunters, one built up with carbon fiber barrel and one stock. Love them both.

I am a huge savage fan and have never had one that did not shoot. Very hard to beat for the price.

I originally posted about my Savage rifles on this old thread about eight years ago. Those rifles mentioned, after all this time, as well as several other Savages acquired since have all proven to be exceptionally accurate, and totally reliable. Thousands of rounds fired without requiring the use of the warranty, or service department. Wish I could say the same for all the other brands of factory rifles I have owned, but I'm sure a lemon can pop up from time to time either ANY brand.

I must have got a lemon. I don't doubt that. Where I'm from (Australia) basic Savage and Remington rifles are about the same price. Costs are prohibitively expensive. So I'm probably a bit annoyed I paid double what you guys would pay and then warranty issues weren't dealt with in the same way they would have been in the U.S.

Unfortunately I can offer no pictures to back up my claims. I own three savage rifles and did load development for a forth for a friend.
One is a 10ML-II smokeless muzzleloader in stainless laminate stock. Considering it shoot only saboted projectiles, it is absolutely phinominally accurate. I have only punched paper to 300 yards but it has been consistently MOA or better at all ranges between 100-300 yards.
Second is a 116 weather warrior in 7mm stw that has shot bullets from 139-160 grains again MOA or better groups.
Third is also a 116/WW in 338wm my friend owns and the very first load of RL-19 and 225 grain Interlocks, NPT or Sierra GK all shot great groups.
My last Savage is a discontinued 10 FCP in 308. My first trip to the range I forgot ALL of my reloads at home so I drove to a near by gun store and bought one box of Federal Gold medal Match ammo and it shot great groups as well. Will be very interested in seeing how this rifle shoots with reloads.

Now I will be the first to concede Savage rifles aren't the prettiest of rifles but they in my 1st hand experience shoot very well indeed I am some what disappointed they are no longer the bargain they once were as I paid only $400 for my 116, about $450 for my 10ML-11 and under $500 for my 10 FCP, but as rifles go they still IMHO rate a best buy. In my opinion before they went up in price they were without doubt the best budget rifle you could buy, I don't know if that's true any more or not.

I have shot 1500-1700 shots out of my 10ML-II about 350-400 out of my 116/WW and have not encountered a single issue with either. I would not hesitate to recommend a savage to anyone looking for a great rifle on a budget.

I should say I think Savage rifles look "pretty" good.

With all the PRS shooting I've done over the past few years, I wanted to give a "chassis" based rifle a try for LRH. Building one on a Savage 110 action using a Criterion Lt Palma26" barrel/MPA Lite Chassis was a fast and easy project. This rifle is exceptionally accurate holding .25-.5MOA out to 1000 yards+, feeds perfectly, and is bullet proof in its construction. Took this Wyoming whitetail last week. Wasn't a very long shot at 300 yards, but got the job done, DRT, with a center heart shot. Overall, while on the heavy side at 13# fully loaded, it is a very stable shooting platform and very easy to shoot with precision from a variety of positions. Of course, it's a 6.5x284, my favorite.
7880CAAC-2A4E-4557-BDCB-3DF083D6AAEC.jpeg

Last edited:
Like your setup....and results. Have a 7mm Magnum on an old Savage flat back receiver. Nothing fancy. That rifle just amazes me sometimes with how accurate it can be.

Last edited:
With all the PRS shooting I've done over the past few years, I wanted to give a "chassis" based rifle a try for LRH. Building one on a Savage 110 action using a Criterion Lt Palma26" barrel/MPA Lite Chassis was a fast and easy project. This rifle is exceptionally accurate holding .25-.5MOA out to 1000 yards+, feeds perfectly, and is bullet proof in its construction. Took this Wyoming whitetail last week. Wasn't a very long shot at 300 yards, but got the job done, DRT, with a center heart shot. Overall, while on the heavy side at 13# fully loaded, it is a very stable shooting platform and very easy to shoot with precision from a variety of positions. Of course, it's a 6.5x284, my favorite.
View attachment 153442
Nice
View attachment 153442

Nice

I had shot a lot of rifles, but no savages, so several years ago I decided to give them a try. after several years of loading and tuning, replacing stocks and triggers, I have given up. they maybe great hunting rifles but not a platform to build on. I have sold all but one, and will buy no more. I have gone back to building my own rifles from solid known components.

I have had 5 savages. Only one of the 5 has been what I would describe as a "shooter". The other 4 did not shoot bad, but nowhere near where my Tikka, Brownings, and even a few lowly Remingtons shoot. They have terrible stocks, but I get along fine with their triggers. The one I have that does shoot under 1/2" is in a chasis stock. I really think the stock is the weak link. Admittedly they were all close to or at MOA, but little if any sub MOA. All but one was even the accustock models. Not bashing them at all, but I doubt I buy any more of them.

A few months back I bought a factory take off Savage barrel from this site. With factory loaded Federal 190 match ammo it is ridiculously accurate. I have put a few hundred rounds through it out to 1200+ yards. A week back I was smacking a 3/4 moa target at 710 with boring regularity. Missed 2 of 10 shots due to not catching a small change in wind. Bad thing is that there is a strong possibility I may burn this barrel out within a year.:D

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.