New lot of powder is clumping

Moman

I just opened a new 7 lb. lot of H-1000 and see it has clumps in it about the size of a fist. I think the powder is ok since it breaks apart easily but has anyone had this happen before?

"Size of a fist?" Wow, that is a lot. You say it is a seven lb. can; Hodgen makes 1 lb. and 8 lb. containers only, as far as I know. Did you buy it partially empty? I suspect dampness got in it.
I would try spreading all of it on a newspaper in a dry environment for a few days. If you allow the dampness to remain in it, your loads will be erratic, but not necessarily dangerous.

Best guess is your powder either got wet at some time or top was open in heavy humidity. Spread it and dry it good. It will still shoot but I wouldn't get real picky with the groups it may produce. Could get some erratic extreme velocity spreads. Good luck. Sometimes I use suspicious powder to blow out brass, fireform, work up load developement, etc so I get use out of it. It could be fine and do well.

Thanks guys. I'm going to try it today and see how it does, and yes it is an 8 lb container. It's brand new unopened until now and only about 10 months old. I have hope that it may be ok since it breaks apart real easy. Not clumped real hard and if I touch it with a ball point pen it completely breaks apart. Thanks.

I had the same thing happen with the same powder! I too had a brand new container and I store it indoors.
It shot great

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts