New life for the Rem .280

chanceinmt

I have a Rem 700 ADL chambered in 7mm Express Remington I have had for 15 years. I bought it out of consignment from Trempers Sporting Goods in Missoula for too little money and this rifle which now wears a Rem Tupperware stock has accounted for at least 2 truckloads of game since in Montana. I am about out of factory cartridges. I have RL22,RL19, IMR4350 and IMR4831 in bulk on hand and 100 Nosler 140 g partitions. But I keep reading about magical powders and new bullets for up to 6/700 yard accurate and temp stable shooting.....I use a leupold 6x42 LR Reticle on this rifle and am very comfortable on the gun. I will not rebarrel this rifle out of nostalgia........just shoot it seldom and pass it to my grandson

I have used factory 140g Barnes X old school and 150g Nosler Partitions for the life of the rifle. Don't know how I ended up with 2 boxes of 140g Partitions....just whats on the shelf now

I shot my last 7mm Rem Express back in 2009 in Mexico on a Desert Mule Deer hunt. I had a scope malfunction on my 7mm-08 and I was unabke to hunt with it and ended up using my unckes old 7mm-06/7mm Remington Express. He had a custom barrel on it that said 7mm-06 / 7mm Remington Express.

Took a nice buck at 50 yds with 160gr Partition.

Are you looking to try out other bullets/powders?

I am past the ability to sneaky snake around in the woods anymore so gonna load for longer range hayfield type opportunities.....I am looking for an Accubond or solid copper type bullet/load info for shooting deer sized game to midrange distances 700 yds max rested shooting. I had a 7mmJRS put together by ER Shaw 30 some years ago that was great for this type of hunting using 154 Hornady Spire Points over 63 plus grains of RL22. This netted me almost 3200fps with single digit es numbers. Alas stolen many years ago.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.