.280 AI barrel life

areyoujelen

I am considering picking up a used .280 AI. I have looked everywhere, and have only found one post regarding barrel life. They stated that barrel life was around 800. That seemed wayyyy off IMO especially since it isn't a magnum round. I'm hoping someone on here could shed some light on this for me. Thanks

I am considering picking up a used .280 AI. I have looked everywhere, and have only found one post regarding barrel life. They stated that barrel life was around 800. That seemed wayyyy off IMO especially since it isn't a magnum round. I'm hoping someone on here could shed some light on this for me. Thanks

Yeah, that sounds WAY too low to me. 7mm RemMags can get upwards of 1,000-1,200 if taken care of and let the barrel cool between shots and groups.

Barrel life is one of those impossible things to give a definitive answer on, because it depends on a lot of factors and how the rifle was treated. Could be 800, could be 1,800... I'd guess you should definitely be over 1,200, possibly more, especially if you shoot slower heavier bullets, instead of faster lighter bullets. Just my $0.02.

Someone else might could give you a better answer.

No idea. I'd say, all things being equal (with how you shoot), probably about the same as a 270 win.

FYI:
I have right at 850 rounds through my 280AI - 168 Bergers at 2870 fps., 25" Kreiger 1-10" twist. Just had the barrel scoped 3 weeks ago. It showed no throat wear hardly at all. Shoots better now than it ever has.

I'm one of those guys that do not heat up a barrel and only clean it when it tells me to or when it's been in inclement weather but it by no means is a safe queen. I have had to repaint the stock due to the number of times it has been in/out of a saddle scabbard and the miles of being on a backpack.

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.