New Leica Geovid Pro 10x42 AB+ with Shot Probability Analysis

These have some upgrades. Better stability and compatibility with the AB Ecosystem (Garmin, Kestrel, Sig, etc etc). But these are also the first commercial range finders with Shot Probability Analysis. So in essence you can build a target (Hog, Deer, Elk, Ground Squirrel, Racoon etc) and a profile and the binos will tell you what the first shot probability on target is. These also do come with AB Elite on board so no upgrade needed and they are going to be more stable with the couple products coming out at shot.

These also come with Leica ProTrack "Leica ProTrack further enhances the capabilities of the Geovid Pro AB+ offering the ability to plot GPS mapping points in BaseMap and Google Maps, elevating in-field tracking, surveying and game recovery to unprecedented levels of precision."
Not sure how bino's will give you making a shot percentage, how can they determine whether someone can shoot or not ?

I love Leica glass, I have a set of the older Leica 10x42 Geovid R Rangefinder Binoculars, I don't think I'll ever need to upgrade, they're just that good... dollar for dollar one of the best buys I've ever made in optics.
Cheers

Not sure how bino's will give you making a shot percentage, how can they determine whether someone can shoot or not ?
I am guessing they are using Bryan Litz's WEZ models. I am a huge fan of this concept. Basically, it assumes you can shoot a certain group size (MOA or MRAD). Most shooters do not consider that their bullets do not all fly in one path, and consequently think they have 5" of what I will call wind error (assuming a ten inch target). But even a 1/2 MOA rifle will group 5" at 1000 yards, leaving only 2.5" of allowable wind error. In order to guarantee a hit, your allowable wind estimation error is less than 1 mph (actually, it is 1.1 mph if you shoot a .338 300 Berger at 2875 fps).

Complicating all of this is the fact the longer your TOF, the more a perfect wind call turns to crap. I recorded 45 seconds of wind speeds on a Kestrel and played it back frame by frame. I don't recall the exact numbers, but the wind changed within 1 second often enough to destroy a 90% hit probability at 1000 yards, and that was only with a wind that averaged 6 mph or so. Today at my CO place the wind is gusting enough every second to make a 760 gong an effort in futility and a 620 yard shot pretty dicey (I did hit at 520 but only shot once).

Good shooters don't miss because they can't hold steady - they misread the wind. Now how Leica knows your wind estimation ability, I can't answer.

The Shot Probability Analysis allows you to build a profile of data including the targets you plan to shoot. Once you have selected the target and it's size we can use those factors to determine the capabilities vs the target size and then model the outcome. We have been doing this for the military for over a decade now. This is the first civilian product to use this proven system. We do cover this in the Modern Advancements series of books and the Accuracy & Precision books we have published. This is a case of proven military technology finally hitting the civilian market per say.

I am guessing they are using Bryan Litz's WEZ models. I am a huge fan of this concept. Basically, it assumes you can shoot a certain group size (MOA or MRAD). Most shooters do not consider that their bullets do not all fly in one path, and consequently think they have 5" of what I will call wind error (assuming a ten inch target). But even a 1/2 MOA rifle will group 5" at 1000 yards, leaving only 2.5" of allowable wind error. In order to guarantee a hit, your allowable wind estimation error is less than 1 mph (actually, it is 1.1 mph if you shoot a .338 300 Berger at 2875 fps).

Complicating all of this is the fact the longer your TOF, the more a perfect wind call turns to crap. I recorded 45 seconds of wind speeds on a Kestrel and played it back frame by frame. I don't recall the exact numbers, but the wind changed within 1 second often enough to destroy a 90% hit probability at 1000 yards, and that was only with a wind that averaged 6 mph or so. Today at my CO place the wind is gusting enough every second to make a 760 gong an effort in futility and a 620 yard shot pretty dicey (I did hit at 520 but only shot once).

Good shooters don't miss because they can't hold steady - they misread the wind. Now how Leica knows your wind estimation ability, I can't answer.
:)

Good shooters don't miss because they can't hold steady - they misread the wind. Now how Leica knows your wind estimation

The Shot Probability Analysis allows you to build a profile of data including the targets you plan to shoot. Once you have selected the target and it's size we can use those factors to determine the capabilities vs the target size and then model the outcome. We have been doing this for the military for over a decade now. This is the first civilian product to use this proven system. We do cover this in the Modern Advancements series of books and the Accuracy & Precision books we have published. This is a case of proven military technology finally hitting the civilian market per say.
Thank you for the information

Bino's landed on Monday, haven't had much time to play with them yet. The time I have spent with them they are nice. Profile setup is easy, changing windage in bino is simple, loading profile was very easy, ranging objects with readout is fast. Will link Kestrel to it this weekend and compare linkability and data transmission compared to the .com's binos.

Bino's landed on Monday, haven't had much time to play with them yet. The time I have spent with them they are nice. Profile setup is easy, changing windage in bino is simple, loading profile was very easy, ranging objects with readout is fast. Will link Kestrel to it this weekend and compare linkability and data transmission compared to the .com's binos.
Thanks for the update, keep us posted once you use them a little

How fast does it calculate a solution? Also does it have a wind solution based on what direction you are facing or do you have to maunually plug in wind direction every time? Thanks for taking the time to post.

How fast does it calculate a solution? Also does it have a wind solution based on what direction you are facing or do you have to maunually plug in wind direction every time? Thanks for taking the time to post.
It has active scan mode, so this depends. But normally about 2 - 3 seconds. This also depends on the distance. Of course trying to range 1776 yards will take longer than 300 yards etc.