New Hornady 6.5 PRC

I expected higher performance, I have to agree with the 6mmbr guys on this one.
http://bulletin.accurateshooter.com/2017/10/new-hornady-6-5-prc-precision-rifle-cartridge/
If I want this velocity level I believe for me at least it makes sense to just install a 6.5x284 barrel on one of my long action M700's, likely get within 50fps and have Lapua brass to boot.

Whoever wrote that article compared 24" test barrel factory ammo velocity with handloaded hotter Creedmoor rounds. For apples-to-apples, consider the factory 143 and 147gr Creedmoor loads (24" test barrel) of 2,700 and 2,695 fps respectively and compare them to the same 24" test barrel loads in the PRC that are 2,960 and 2,910 fps. That's a 215-260 fps velocity increase. The PRC case is considerably larger and loaded to a higher pressure than the Creedmoor, so yeah, hand loaders are already cranking them well over 3,000 fps.
The same article also states " If you need more speed than a 6.5 Creedmoor and want to stick with a .264-diameter bullet, then shoot a .260 Rem or 6.5-284 using a standard bolt." so, yeah, a 260? I'm not sure what the authors goal was here.
Perhaps the best explanation for this cartridge is to go to MidSouth or Midway etc and price 6.5x284 ammo (averages over $55/box), then look at the PRC ($35-37). While the 6.5x284 is fine for hand loaders, factory ammo is really expensive and not many companies want to load a really long, heavy bullet cause there's multiple chambering out there from years of hand loading before the Norma spec. The goal is to have affordable, factory ammo available (in addition to what hand loaders want) so that the average Joe can obtain and use high performance short-action 6.5 mag ammo and have a cartridge that fits and feeds in a wide variety of rifles.

Whoever wrote that article compared 24" test barrel factory ammo velocity with handloaded hotter Creedmoor rounds. For apples-to-apples, consider the factory 143 and 147gr Creedmoor loads (24" test barrel) of 2,700 and 2,695 fps respectively and compare them to the same 24" test barrel loads in the PRC that are 2,960 and 2,910 fps. That's a 215-260 fps velocity increase. The PRC case is considerably larger and loaded to a higher pressure than the Creedmoor, so yeah, hand loaders are already cranking them well over 3,000 fps.
The same article also states " If you need more speed than a 6.5 Creedmoor and want to stick with a .264-diameter bullet, then shoot a .260 Rem or 6.5-284 using a standard bolt." so, yeah, a 260? I'm not sure what the authors goal was here.
Perhaps the best explanation for this cartridge is to go to MidSouth or Midway etc and price 6.5x284 ammo (averages over $55/box), then look at the PRC ($35-37). While the 6.5x284 is fine for hand loaders, factory ammo is really expensive and not many companies want to load a really long, heavy bullet cause there's multiple chambering out there from years of hand loading before the Norma spec. The goal is to have affordable, factory ammo available (in addition to what hand loaders want) so that the average Joe can obtain and use high performance short-action 6.5 mag ammo and have a cartridge that fits and feeds in a wide variety of rifles.
Even shooting premium bullets you can load the .260, CM, or .264wm for less than 30.00/20rds.

I am not sure how relevant the price of 6.5x284 ammo is. Most folks that shoot that round load their own and I certainly would. But yes, the PRC has appeal for those that buy factory.

morning, yes for to any 6.5's. the creedmore is the same as the .260
but in a .30TC casing. the .260 is same as .308 casing necked down. the wildcatting goes on. I have a custom 6.5 Rem. is basic velocity of a .270. both hold about 60grs of powder. I had a 6.5X55 Swede, very accurate rifle. military verison.
.264 has been studied for years. never got the Praise as the 7mm Mag. very accurate round. my favorite is the .264Mag. never owned one TUM

morning, yes for to any 6.5's. the creedmore is the same as the .260
but in a .30TC casing. the .260 is same as .308 casing necked down. the wildcatting goes on. I have a custom 6.5 Rem. is basic velocity of a .270. both hold about 60grs of powder. I had a 6.5X55 Swede, very accurate rifle. military verison.
.264 has been studied for years. never got the Praise as the 7mm Mag. very accurate round. my favorite is the .264Mag. never owned one TUM
The .264 had two quick strikes against it. First it quickly earned a reputation as a "barrel burner" and soon after the 7mm Rem came along.

Of course it's no more a barrel burner than any other overbore cartridge and with modern barrels that's even less of an issue especially if you will have the barrel nitrided.

Which SAAMI cartridge fires a 140 gr 6.5 bullet at 3000 FPS with readily available factory ammo? Not 2600 or 3400 or 3800 FPS. Going up to bigger cartridges or calibers could bring similar ballistics but they also bring more recoil that I am less and less into the older I get. For those with time to reload there are options but I barely find time to shoot. To me this cartridge hits a sweet spot right about where the 264 WM is but in a SA with a hopefully better ammo selection. With Hornady backing it, we should have plenty of ammo to choose from soon. I would think a 123 gr would make a great varmint round in this caliber. To me this cartridge just compensates for the case length they took away to fit the 140 gr bullets in the CM by making the case wider. It may not be the best option for BR shooting which I don't do but it should be a fairly light recoiling very flat shooting round that will be very versatile if Hornady backs it up with the right ammo offerings which I am betting they will do. I applaud Hornady for putting it out there and I'm already talking to my rifle builder about having one made. We truly live in a great time for rifle shooting to be blessed with the options we have.

Which SAAMI cartridge fires a 140 gr 6.5 bullet at 3000 FPS with readily available factory ammo? Not 2600 or 3400 or 3800 FPS. Going up to bigger cartridges or calibers could bring similar ballistics but they also bring more recoil that I am less and less into the older I get. For those with time to reload there are options but I barely find time to shoot. To me this cartridge hits a sweet spot right about where the 264 WM is but in a SA with a hopefully better ammo selection. With Hornady backing it, we should have plenty of ammo to choose from soon. I would think a 123 gr would make a great varmint round in this caliber. To me this cartridge just compensates for the case length they took away to fit the 140 gr bullets in the CM by making the case wider. It may not be the best option for BR shooting which I don't do but it should be a fairly light recoiling very flat shooting round that will be very versatile if Hornady backs it up with the right ammo offerings which I am betting they will do. I applaud Hornady for putting it out there and I'm already talking to my rifle builder about having one made. We truly live in a great time for rifle shooting to be blessed with the options we have.
First one on the list at Ammo Seek.

https://vizardsgunsandammo.com/winc...4-win-magnum-power-point-140-gr-20box-10case/

3030 is about as close as you can get to what you asked for.

https://ammoseek.com/ammo/264-winchester-magnum/Winchester

Looks like there are only 4 rifle builders with reamers, GAO, Horizon and two other PRS rifle builders.

I'm looking seriously at building one.

Perhaps they achieved their aim in getting us to generate 9 pages of attention/discussion about their products (and hopefully generate sales?) That seems to be the reason for a lot of what goes on in the industry.

So True cynicrit. Its brilliant marketing by Hornady/Ruger and a few selected "friends".

Ruger will put out another boat anchor RPR in 6.5 PRC. There are more for sale in the classifieds than Ruger can make.

Makes it fun and as you state it generates lots of posts with lost of goofy replies.

Negatives are from the guys who just had a custom Creedmoor built or own a GAP or SAUM and similar wildcats.

Positives come from us with $6,000 to burn on our next builds.:cool:

Years ago I was looking at 6.5 caliber bullets and curious as to why it hadn't been turned into a good long range cartridge. At the time there was the 6.5 sweed and the 264 win mag. One was too slow the other was a barrel burner. Sense then there has been a lot of various cartridges. Now I'm hoping they get one decided on and stop.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.