New guy here as well as reloading!

Good morning fellas! New to reloading, and with the shortage of components it makes it tough. Anyhow, looking for any input on the use of N560 in a 270 WSM, 7mm RM as well as 338 LM. There is quite a lot of information to try and soak up when just starting out, just trying to look for some good advice specifically for these calibers. Thanks in advance!
First I suggest you purchase a manual second find someone that can get you started hands on then after that if there's any unanswered questions there is a lot of guys on this form and others that have a lot of knowledge and are more than willing to answer any questions. Unfortunately this is not a good time to start as components are hard to come by good luck and good shooting

Good morning fellas! New to reloading, and with the shortage of components it makes it tough. Anyhow, looking for any input on the use of N560 in a 270 WSM, 7mm RM as well as 338 LM. There is quite a lot of information to try and soak up when just starting out, just trying to look for some good advice specifically for these calibers. Thanks in advance!
When reloading I often do it in the summer dog days when it's to hot to fish and months away from deer season. Some powders have substantial swings in pressure and velocity due to temperature variations. Keep this in mind when you choose a powder. The most temperature stable powders to my knowledge are the Hodgdon extrem powders and IMR Enduron. If you plan on loading and shooting in the same temperature ranges then there is no problem. Be aware that with some powders if you develop a hot but safe load in the winter, it may become unsafe in the heat of summer. Even aside from the safety issues I've heard competition shooters say their loads can gain 100 fps from cool morning shots to hot afternoon shots. According to my reasearch H4350 is the most stable on the market, even out performing Varget. It can be found, I just bought 2 pounds from Midway less than a month ago but you have to act quick when you find it. It goes fast. When using other powders over extreme temperature swings, keep your loads on the light side.

I have looked around and bookmarked that site. I was just wondering if anyone had any personal experience. In the 338 for instance- I've read of guys having good experiences using just large rifle primers opposed to magnums... just trying to gather as much information as possible. I've researched quite extensively, just seems to be a wormhole! I guess I just need to start my own testing and learn from what I gather. Just trying not to burn up more components than necessary is all.
I have used large rifle primers in my 338 wm with 250 grain bullets with. no issues. My understanding is that the may not do well in really cold weather.

Welcome, Roll Tide.
Those are three interesting calibers you will be reloading. Keep good notes. I use a sharpie marker on the brass case to remind what is in each case. Flat base bullets are sometimes better inside of 200 yards. Try not to go full throttle yet. I recommend searching for the low node. Try to figure out "the ladder" in testing loads. Probably saves powder. On the case head I draw a straight line each time I fire a case and it tends to stay readable and gives me an idea if how many times that case has been fired. Again stay low node and brass may last longer.
Enjoy a good pass time reloader adventure addiction. If ever in doubt pull that bullet.
Primer pockets can get worn out.
Russia primers can be slightly undersized leading to blow out...not fun. Stay low bro

Last edited:
New guy too, welcome from west Washington!

Welcome from Mississippi

Goodmorning and welcome from Phoenix az!

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.