New guy here as well as reloading!

As a rule of thumb when powder charges get over 60 Grains you need a magnum primer
That's not a bad practice but it's certainly not necessary. The first designated "magnum" primer was the federal 215, which was created to
Ensure reliable ignition of the pile of slow burning powder in the .378 weatherby when it first arrived. That's about twice the 60 grain capacity cited here. Worth noting then that the .375hh and offspring, the 404 Jeffery (on which the RUMs are based) the 416 rigby (on which the ops .338 lapua is based) and even the mighty 505 gibbs (on which the cheytac cartridges are based) never had magnum primers nor had anyone heard of such a thing and ignition wasn't a problem with these.

Now I do use magnum primers in my 300
Win, but would have no second thoughts about standard if the groups were better.

ive heard people say magnum primers ensure reliable ignition in cold weather. I live in northern Saskatchewan, never seen cold, even nasty cold, in any way cause problems with standard primers.

I honestly don't see any NEED for magnum primers as far as reliability goes. But in some cartridges they improve numbers and consistency so I'm happy to have the option.

only exception standing very clearly in my mind is heavily compressed charges of ball powder, in any rifle cartridge I use magnum primers if I have to do that but to be honest I just don't like ball powder now so it's rarely required. But that's the only hangfire and the only fail to fire I've had...compressed ball powder with standard primers.

Hey jg1990. I'm new here as well and have found tons and tons of reloading info using the search feature, you can definitely find yourself going down a rabbit hole when starting out reloading, at least I did. For the calibers you listed I've had great luck with mag pro and RL22 on my 7 mag. I'd maybe just pick a couple powders and start trying things out, don't get 8 different powders and mess with finding a load for each one, you'll just end up in a rabbit hole lol. Unfortunately I don't have any experience with the N569

Good morning fellas! New to reloading, and with the shortage of components it makes it tough. Anyhow, looking for any input on the use of N560 in a 270 WSM, 7mm RM as well as 338 LM. There is quite a lot of information to try and soak up when just starting out, just trying to look for some good advice specifically for these calibers. Thanks in advance!
Hello from Indiana

My single experience with N560 was about ten years ago using the 7x61 Sharpe & Hart Magnum cartridge. I was using recent (at the time) published data, not Internet; I believe it was VV data. I ran into high pressure indications with starting loads or maybe slightly less. I've never encountered this with any other powder. I'd have to check my old notes, but I'm not sure I ever got beyond the recommended starting load charge. However, accuracy was excellent, and so was velocity. For reference, case capacity of the 7x61 is about the same as the Rem. 7mm SAUM and slightly less than the 7mm Remington Magnum

I would think VV560 is pretty close foe the 270 WSM & 7RM, probably usable but a bit fast for the 338. With the load specifics (bullet, coal, bbl length, etc) I would be happy to do a QuickLOAD run for them to get you a starting point to reference.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.