New Gun Time.... 6mm ARC

Just a thought to think about. I'm not for or against either I like both rounds.
But if you are doing it for you daughter in an ar the 6.5 may be better if hunting is in the future.
The 6.5 with the same weight bullet as the 6arc will push it faster because bigger case. It will also do it with a shorter barrel. Bigger bore. So if both shoot a 100gr which I think the Case size shines in that weight.
The Grendel with push it faster.
Being an ar I wouldn't want a 24" barrel.
I run the 97-99gr bullets for hunting in my grendel then for paper and steel the 100-123gr works great. I wanna try the 130 atip for steel soon.
Already have a 6.5 Creedmoor Bergara HMR as that she uses, she shoots it well, was wanting a lighter rifle overall 6mm ARC looks interesting to fit this bill, I have looked at the Grendel as well. Grendel may be easier and cheaper option with many built uppers available for a more reasonable price, thanks for the suggestion.

If you go that route I have some great loads that work for targets and game in all my hunting needs.
I'm pushing the 97 close to 3k out of a 18".
Took 4 audad and a red stag this year with that load.

I just bought the Seekins, .36 moa with factory ammo. It has good groups out to 700, wind was stiff so groups opened up at 1000. Trying my first hand loads.

Just a thought to think about. I'm not for or against either I like both rounds.
But if you are doing it for you daughter in an ar the 6.5 may be better if hunting is in the future.
The 6.5 with the same weight bullet as the 6arc will push it faster because bigger case. It will also do it with a shorter barrel. Bigger bore. So if both shoot a 100gr which I think the Case size shines in that weight.
The Grendel with push it faster.
Being an ar I wouldn't want a 24" barrel.
I run the 97-99gr bullets for hunting in my grendel then for paper and steel the 100-123gr works great. I wanna try the 130 atip for steel soon.

You Sir... probably just changed my mind. While I love the Savage offered at Sportsman Warehouse... the Switchback..... I am bending to the 6.5 Grendel now.

Man I wish there was a Savage Switchback in 6.5 Grendel.

I agree I really like that switch back.
Check out the howa mini. I have one of those in a bolt action. Love it. Bought the lightest one had the barrel cut to 16" and heavy fluted barrel and bolt. Swafa 2-10 ultra light on it. I'm pushing the 97gr hammer juts a tick over 3k and could definitely lean on it harder but didn't wanna crunch my powder.

I agree I really like that switch back.
Check out the howa mini. I have one of those in a bolt action. Love it. Bought the lightest one had the barrel cut to 16" and heavy fluted barrel and bolt. Swafa 2-10 ultra light on it. I'm pushing the 97gr hammer juts a tick over 3k and could definitely lean on it harder but didn't wanna crunch my powder.

I've got a Howa Mini in 7.62x39 and it is a little tack driver at 200 yards. I flippin love that gun. It will kill the hell out of Whitetail......

Nailed a doe at 187 yards, right through the heart and she piled at 23 yards.

So yeah... I'm a fan of Howa....

Gotta admit that I just love guns and I really, tend to like some of the new stuff.

For instance, I adored that my old man loved his 264 Win Mag and I thought one day I would own a 'mint' Pre-64 Winchester. But then this little round came along.... called a 6.5 PRC and I was star-struck. So I worked some extra time and bought one.

Ok.... I don't need another gun, but ....... I have worked some more 'extra time' and have some dough that is begging for a new gun and ammo.

I am always looking for my next Huckleberry.

Enter.... the 6mm ARC.

This tiny case, with a dinky amount of powder and a 108gr bullet is still pushing over 1,000 fps at 1,800 yards. ARE YOU KIDDING ME?

So I have no interest in the 6ARC in an AR platform, but a bolt that would provide some really fun plinking, yeah.

What about you? Are you a fan of the 6ARC .... for whatever reason? Pluses and minuses...????

I built a gas gun based one it. Aero M4E1 lower, PRS Gen3 on an A2 tube, JPSC Heavy, TT Diamond, Ballistic Advantage complete 18" upper, ECTunerbrake, and it is a HANDY rifle. Shoots great, 1/2moa if I do my part. I do tend to load it a bit higher than the listed data, but see no signs of pressure. Most load data for 108g pills shows a MAX of 2575, but I push it to 2720-2730 with zero issues or signs of pressure. I'm prepping to build a bolt gun around this cartridge. Mine seems to love CFE223, LeverEvolution, AA2520, BLC-2, and Staball6.5, but that Staball6.5 is a bit too slow burning. I've seen the best results with CFE223 and LeverEvolution. I've tested & abused the "junk" Hornady brass extensively and if I anneal properly between every firing, I've gotten as many as 12 reloads before the case is spent. As you can see, I am a firm believer in annealing. I saw a guy in AZ that put over 4k rounds down a bolt gun tube in it with very little throat erosion, even pushing the 108's over 2900. Very appealing to me.

Ok... decision made. I just couldn't get my head around a couple of points to buy the 6 ARC.....

1. I have 500 rounds of 6.5 Grendel Ammo
2. The Grendel case is larger than the 6 ARC.
3. I have the option to shoot .7 BC bullets in the Grendel

The last 48 hours I have searched everywhere for a 6.5 Grendel gun... Ended up finding one local and pulled the trigger.....

Howa 1500, 22" 1-8 twist barrel
DIAMONDBACK TACTICAL 4-16X44 FFP

Honestly, I sure wanted the Savage 110 Switchback, but wanted the Grendel more.

You could always ask them if it's available in 6.5Gr... .
I did ask if the Savage 110 Switchback came in the Grendel... and it does not. Heck, I would also like a Ruger American Tactical in a Grendel, but it only comes in 6.5 Creedmoor and .308 Win.

Nobody local had a 20MOA rail for the 1500 Mini Action, so had to order it last night, along with some 'Low', 30mm rings. Can't wait to shoot it.

CBBD4796-726B-419F-B1F4-92E583B26789.jpeg

That's juts like mine but I had the black stock. Then had all the work done. Great little rifle. Those can push the Grendel a bit harder than a AR also so you may be shocked at how it performs.

That's juts like mine but I had the black stock. Then had all the work done. Great little rifle. Those can push the Grendel a bit harder than a AR also so you may be shocked at how it performs.
I wish it had a Heavy Barrel, but at the end of the day, if "it'll shoot an eye out", I'll be happy.

Recent Posts