It's a good time to buy a new gun.

Mrvmax

I've been a home based dealer ( I have an FFL) for about 13 years now. For the first time, my salesman has called me up to see if I need anything, things are real slow. This is the same salesman I've had at this particular distributor since I started (I've got four distributors I use regularly). They are fairly large and have always seemed to do well even though a handful of distributors have gone under since I've had my FFL.

I've seen online retailers list firearms 1/3 less than my wholesale cost. The industry is slow and some retailers are selling at deep discounts now to move inventory and raise cash.

There are some good deals to be had, but think of something. If you like that local mom and pop, support them in times like these. I have a full time job so what I make on the side selling firearms is irrelevant. But your local dealer is probably hurting now.

It's also a time when the ATF is cracking down for minor infractions making things even more frustrating.

I know not every local mom and pop are reputable, but for those that are, try and support them. The best thing for competitive pricing is to have a variety of sellers. When the big guys swallow up everyone they can control price.

Just an observation.

I can only imagine how tough it has been for the smaller LGS establishments over the past few years. The supply chain issues coupled with political pressures have hit the industry hard. It has created some behavior by a few that will permanently impact their business. Those that took advantage of the supply shortages and participated in gouging will probably get their due. I completely agree we should support the LGS that has struggled through the tough times but understood their customers are their most important component of their business.

Intetesting-- you wouldn't really know that prices are down right now by looking at the selling prices online. Most prices of new firearms I see seem to be fairly stable and middle of the road-- not super high, yet not great deals either. The prices have come down since the covid scare--- but that wasn't normal pricing as dealers were jacking prices as much as 200-400 percent because people were in a buying frenzy. And sellers were pulling in huge profits.

I can see how profit margins may be low for dealers right now if they bought at the inflated pricing and are trying to keep inventory flow up.

Ever since the internet really opened up, small dealers could never keep up with the large online retailers --- they get lower pricing from the manufactures for buying in bulk, but small dealers that buy onesie twosie can't get much of a discount. But that's the laws of supply and demand. Big box stores can always out price the small stores--- that's why the small stores need to specialize in customer service and knowing their customers.

Running a small business has always been difficult, but in the new days of internet sales with huge online seller like Walmart, Amazon, etc --- the small business will never be able to out price the online sales. Know your customers and cater to them with extra excellent customer service and you will keep bringing in decent profits.

I will clarify, there are not cuts across the board but great deals here and there. One example, PSA had a Rock Island/Armscor 1911 in 45 ACP for around $330 last week and my wholesale cost was close to $450 for that model (the price has increased some of that particular pistol).

Another distro of mine sends out daily lists (to FFLS) of firearms they are reducing prices on to reduce inventory.

Firearms in high demand (like lever action rifles in 45/70) will still demand premium pricing. But, there are some good deals out there.

I was at a Fleet n Farm store in Ankeny, IA, last week and the showcase was packed full of handguns. wasn't interested in anything, but I did notice the plethora of handguns. Primers in stock too, but not a single LRP to be found.