New Garmin vs Magneto

^^^ agree. I bought the garmin, but that's because my LR shooting opportunities are very limited compared to what I used to have at my disposal. It's still a great piece of equipment and Bravo 4 got mine for a heck of deal...

The Magnetospeed was light years ahead of optical chronographs of the past, and made it possible to get accurate velocities with simple easy to use equipment that could be carried in your pack and taken any where in the world. Where you could check any ammo you had to use in the environment you were in. This was and still is very important to professionals that need this capability. Lab Radar certainly was not that kind of tool, the new Garmin just may be. The Magnetospeed strapped to the barrel may cause POI shifts and other harmonics issues, but it does give accurate velocities. When it is mounted off the barrel it may cause POI shift from gas deflection around the bayonet when the projectile passes over it, but it still gives accurate velocities. Test it yourself and see. I don't have any huge urge to spend $600 on the Garmin yet when it would be better spent elsewhere, I am glad I didn't buy into Lab Radar, and am happy that I still get accurate velocities with my Magnetospeed any where I take it!
Exactly why I have all 3 now and had the optical. Of course I hated those things and felt more confident in calculating drop data via long hand.

once I got my lab figured out I've not used my mag at all. Now that I have this garmin, that lab will go to a buddy. I have no use for it. This garmin is exactly what I was hoping lab would have done years ago.

Got to compare the new Garmin vs a first gen magneto today. The difference was about 9FPS difference. The old stuff still works good!View attachment 536631View attachment 536635View attachment 536636
Got to compare the new Garmin vs a first gen magneto today. The difference was about 9FPS difference. The old stuff still works good!View attachment 536631View attachment 536635View attachment 536636
I see LabRadar just came out with a new model, LabRadar LX which is much more like the Garmin in size. Supposed to hit the retail stands in March/April. Playing a quick catch up to Garmin.
I have one of the earlier made Labradars. I like it but it does have days it likes to mess with me. When I'm serious and have time to shoot in a quiet place with no one around to be an issue, I prefer to use my Oehler P35.