New Garmin vs Magneto

DesertBoy

Got to compare the new Garmin vs a first gen magneto today. The difference was about 9FPS difference. The old stuff still works good!
7289C86B-9FAC-4973-85BC-B85399F83761.jpeg
CE006DDF-5F3E-432B-9DB3-B680CB77798E.jpeg
0C91AB9C-5F80-4650-8F94-52FA0A9547B4.jpeg

Yes they do great and I still have the old Magnetospeed but that new Xero is so much better without something hanging on the barrel and without having to transfer the bayonet from rifle to rifle if you're shooting and testing few rifles.

If I didn't have a Lab radar I would buy the Garmin over a Magneto speed mostly to not have something attached to the barrel.

While empirical data can be very meaningful as to establishing true bullet velocity and consequent associated data, as previously stated there is no standard to measure against or verify the accuracy of a given instrument. In real world application, and I hate to use the term, it is close enough. It can be more closely verified through bullet drop measurements in a controlled environment but to what end? I am not aware of a truly controlled environment where one could shoot 600 yards for precise bullet drop and if there were one would have to remove the ever present human element inducing errors.

In practical application, one could contact some folks with a variety of instruments which could measure the same shot from the same rifle ie. a magneto speed, Lab Radar and Garmin (or two) all surrounding the rifle when fired and compare results. The folks at Applied Ballistics a great white paper on their findings and what they use, unfortunately they don't include doppler chronographs unless there's something I missed

The Garmin is way more efficient, totally agree. Way faster and also nice not to have the point of impact changed. Across the board with the Magneto I generally see a change of 1.5-2MOA difference as far as POI, however the groups still seem to hold good. As far as comparing the two instruments against a universal standard value, that I really don't care about. All I want to do is be in the ballpark, and let my validation sessions be the judge. And these devices seem to always hold true as far as that goes. Paper doesn't lie

I have all 3........ I am going to try something with the garmin...... take it in the field with me on hunts. The other systems are not great for that, lab is large and heavy, mag changes poi. Figured it might be useful to gather a little data in a wide variety of conditions to prove or disprove my own theories and conclusions.

If I didn't have a Lab radar I would buy the Garmin over a Magneto speed mostly to not have something attached to the barrel.

While empirical data can be very meaningful as to establishing true bullet velocity and consequent associated data, as previously stated there is no standard to measure against or verify the accuracy of a given instrument. In real world application, and I hate to use the term, it is close enough. It can be more closely verified through bullet drop measurements in a controlled environment but to what end? I am not aware of a truly controlled environment where one could shoot 600 yards for precise bullet drop and if there were one would have to remove the ever present human element inducing errors.

In practical application, one could contact some folks with a variety of instruments which could measure the same shot from the same rifle ie. a magneto speed, Lab Radar and Garmin (or two) all surrounding the rifle when fired and compare results. The folks at Applied Ballistics a great white paper on their findings and what they use, unfortunately they don't include doppler chronographs unless there's something I missed
lab radar has a new one that looks to be better than both and it's the same price as the garmin. it gives you the bc also

lab radar has a new one that looks to be better than both and it's the same price as the garmin. it gives you the bc also

Except if you look at the new LR unit, it has a little sight on top of it, which tells me it is going to be sensitive to positio. Additionally, I still haven't seen how it is going to trigger. If it by sound, like the old LR, then you will still run into the same issues that the old LRs have when shooting suppressed.

Except if you look at the new LR unit, it has a little sight on top of it, which tells me it is going to be sensitive to positio. Additionally, I still haven't seen how it is going to trigger. If it by sound, like the old LR, then you will still run into the same issues that the old LRs have when shooting suppressed.

Plus the lack of customer service. I never had any complaints except having to buy a recoil trigger and battery pack. My issue is their product release tactic. Seems odd for a company who produced such an innovative product to play second fiddle to a company that never showed interest in a chrono before. Seems like they sat on this upgrade to move inventory and got caught off guard. I know I'm super happy they built the lab and moved our sport ahead with such a brilliant idea. Garmin just beat them to the punch on releasing a much needed down size and upgrade