New Garmin vs Magneto

I have mine on the way, but I was woundering if any of you that have one has shot a AREA 419 muzzle break with it. My Labradar said that it has to be in front of the muzzle due to the backword gas flow. But the garmin says 5-15 inches behind the muzzle. I am assumeing that the small size and that far back it would be clear of the blast. Any Thoughts?

I have all 3........ I am going to try something with the garmin...... take it in the field with me on hunts. The other systems are not great for that, lab is large and heavy, mag changes poi. Figured it might be useful to gather a little data in a wide variety of conditions to prove or disprove my own theories and conclusions.
Love to hear feedback on this.

Just a 6.5mm Creedmoor I'm learning and just started 600yrds at local club. Now Reloading and trying to get a good load there 144berger LRHM and H4350. The Tikka has a slow barrel likes the 2,600fps range so far. Next step better glass with second focal plane. The Athlon is nice clear and tracks… but to busy and at zoom the lines are too busy
Have you seen this thread ? You may find it helpful. https://www.longrangehunting.com/threads/long-range-reticle-thread.348748/

Love to hear feedback on this.
I hunted this weekend and did pack it. Due to the compact weight and size it is legit capable of being part of a persons pack. The only issue I ran into is that I cannot shoot off sticks or a tripod to get data due to the distance to the radar. I have not tested to see if it will pick up shots beyond the recommended 15" max distance so perhaps it'll be ok. More to come there, my first time using it. I did have vegetation around and in the front of the rifle on one test and it picked up the data without issue. My lab would not have picked it up due to the interference. I think I am going to plan to cold bore map this rifle and see if there is a pattern with it. I noticed on the tests the first shots were a little lower in fps then the follow up. Still within acceptable range tho. Definitely within the groups accuracy.

You nailed it completely! Lab was very under handed here. They should have come out with a clearance price for their DINOSAURS and openly launched with their new product with pride....now they just look sneaky and GREEDY! Makes me wonder which companies idea was LEAKED OR STOLEN! Timelines and size seem far too coincidental....extreme changes to existing equipment design.... especially for Lab....oh well good for the industry!
I am definitely in the skeptical camp on this. I don't want to bash Lab but it feels off. I can't shake the feeling. I do wish them well and who knows with me, I might even get one to compare, because I have no self control....... One thing I am concerned about with the garmin is data collection on the firing line with other shooters next me. We have a private range that has a small shooting deck and we are elbow to elbow at times. We'll see.

I have mine on the way, but I was woundering if any of you that have one has shot a AREA 419 muzzle break with it. My Labradar said that it has to be in front of the muzzle due to the backword gas flow. But the garmin says 5-15 inches behind the muzzle. I am assumeing that the small size and that far back it would be clear of the blast. Any Thoughts?

I set my Garmin 24" behind the muzzle and had no problems recording every shot. I had a radial brake on the rifle at the time.

Fellas I don't know about y'all but when I go to the range to do load development or shoot a new rifle , practice or whatever, I carry enough crap as it is! Man that little Garmin is the bomb! I take it out of my tiny little case and set it on its tiny little tripod and go to shootin !! I love it little, light weight, and simple. Ive got several hundred rounds thru it from300 PRC to 22 rimfire, has not missed a shot. Thinking about buying another one in case they quit making this one! lol
Started with an Oehler that I had for ever, worked fine but a PITA to set up
Graduated to the Magneto speed, bought the auxiliary rods and brackets so I would not have to clamp it on my barrel. PITA to set up.
graduated to the labradar. easier to set up but with all the accessory's you bought for it a pretty big pkg, and I never new if that SOB was gonna register my shot or not!
So all that stuff has found new ownership and I have my little Garmin...life is good.

Fellas I don't know about y'all but when I go to the range to do load development or shoot a new rifle , practice or whatever, I carry enough crap as it is! Man that little Garmin is the bomb! I take it out of my tiny little case and set it on its tiny little tripod and go to shootin !! I love it little, light weight, and simple. Ive got several hundred rounds thru it from300 PRC to 22 rimfire, has not missed a shot. Thinking about buying another one in case they quit making this one! lol
Started with an Oehler that I had for ever, worked fine but a PITA to set up
Graduated to the Magneto speed, bought the auxiliary rods and brackets so I would not have to clamp it on my barrel. PITA to set up.
graduated to the labradar. easier to set up but with all the accessory's you bought for it a pretty big pkg, and I never new if that SOB was gonna register my shot or not!
So all that stuff has found new ownership and I have my little Garmin...life is good.
Does anybody have the picture that was posted a year or two ago where the guy conveyed his feelings about Lab by using it as a target for groups at 100 yards? Lol

Magnetospeeds have always been a Macgyver wet dream to set up, work with. Labradar was a great improvement. Here, we have the next improvement iteration in the Garmin. One can only bet there will another improvement just over the horizon. Technology marches on, builds upon itself.
I don't know that you can qualify the original LR as a "great improvement" over Magnetospeed. The LR solved one set of problems by creating a new set of problems. So whether that qualifies as "improvement" depends on your priorities.

Garmin solved all the problems.

The Magnetospeed was light years ahead of optical chronographs of the past, and made it possible to get accurate velocities with simple easy to use equipment that could be carried in your pack and taken any where in the world. Where you could check any ammo you had to use in the environment you were in. This was and still is very important to professionals that need this capability. Lab Radar certainly was not that kind of tool, the new Garmin just may be. The Magnetospeed strapped to the barrel may cause POI shifts and other harmonics issues, but it does give accurate velocities. When it is mounted off the barrel it may cause POI shift from gas deflection around the bayonet when the projectile passes over it, but it still gives accurate velocities. Test it yourself and see. I don't have any huge urge to spend $600 on the Garmin yet when it would be better spent elsewhere, I am glad I didn't buy into Lab Radar, and am happy that I still get accurate velocities with my Magnetospeed any where I take it!

Recent Posts