New Garmin vs Magneto

I'm not here to bash or promote one product over another they are simply tools and all tools can be used skillfully or with lack of understanding and skill. However. The thought that the magnetospeed only affects point of impact by changing barrel harmonics is incorrect. You can mount it at 6:00, 9:00, 12:00, or 3:00 o'clock without touching the barrel and deflect the bullet away from the bayonet proportionally to the distance from the line of bore with the closer it is the greater the deflection.

Started using the Garmin last week, and it's wonderful! Simple to walk through the settings, and did not miss one shot out of 150 rounds of both rifle and handguns used. Velocities mirrored previously test rounds with 2 different MagnetoSpeed's. Three times out in the field, and still had 87% of its original charge. (Which is via a USB port.) (I've already learned something about virgin brass vs. once-fired brass, just because it's so easy to take along and set-up!). There's a 3 way comparison on a Primal Rights video that convinced me to buy the Garmin. I highly recommend watching it if you're considering purchasing one!

I'm not here to bash or promote one product over another they are simply tools and all tools can be used skillfully or with lack of understanding and skill. However. The thought that the magnetospeed only affects point of impact by changing barrel harmonics is incorrect. You can mount it at 6:00, 9:00, 12:00, or 3:00 o'clock without touching the barrel and deflect the bullet away from the bayonet proportionally to the distance from the line of bore with the closer it is the greater the deflection.
I am curious as to how much POI shift you have seen when checking it at the four different locations? And the ranges you tested at?
This sounds interesting to me.

Started using the Garmin last week, and it's wonderful! Simple to walk through the settings, and did not miss one shot out of 150 rounds of both rifle and handguns used. Velocities mirrored previously test rounds with 2 different MagnetoSpeed's. Three times out in the field, and still had 87% of its original charge. (Which is via a USB port.) (I've already learned something about virgin brass vs. once-fired brass, just because it's so easy to take along and set-up!). There's a 3 way comparison on a Primal Rights video that convinced me to buy the Garmin. I highly recommend watching it if you're considering purchasing one!

I am curious as to how much POI shift you have seen when checking it at the four different locations? And the ranges you tested at?
This sounds interesting to me.
300 meters from a return to battery railed gun, and up to 4" of deflection.

I've had them all, sold my magneto long ago. Got rid the labradar as soon as the first batch of Xeros shipped to try still get some value out of it. My xero has never missed a shot in last 3-4 months of using it. The new labradar? Too late is my thoughts. Obviously they were sitting on this, or heard about the garmin last spring and rushed to compete. Well aiming the unit will still be a pain, and their app interface is garbage. So long labradar........garmin has been listening to their customers and is adding features and updates within their firmware already. Labradar customer service was almost impossible to get hold of.
That's one thing Garmin has always done, Upgrading of their products and listening to the owners that use them. I've had several garmin products from fish finder/depth GPS to watches to golf products. "If" I ever had a issue ( mostly learning) there was always someone with answers from Garmin.

Garmin likes that Xero name, they made a bowhunting sight called the Xero just a few years ago. C1 is the rangefinder chronograph and A1 is the bow sight. I thought the name sounded familiar.

Edit: rangefinder?

Last edited:
Is it recommended to use it near the target down range. If you protected it behind a steel target? I apologize if there was prior discussion about it. Regards

I built this for my magneto speed. It attaches to the rail I used camera clamps and heavy wall carbon fiber tubes and a m-lok flashlight mount. Once I got it set I pinned it only because I only use it on this rifle. Barrel is free floating easy on off setup
1706459742042.jpeg

How's the Garmin when it comes to muzzle brakes ?
Used mine this past Monday for the first time, muzzle brakes had no impact. Garmin is so much easier to setup compared with the old Caldwell I had for years, used to take at least 45-60 minutes to set up. The Garmin was less than a minute and has not missed a recording data for a shot, did not pick up any shots from other shooters. I am glad I waited to purchase another Chronograph, until this one came out.